Confined to just the ovary or not?

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi,

According to my surgeon there was excision of a  large ovarian tumour “with a small patch of wall of the distal ileum (firmly adherent to tumour capsule)”

My surgeon, who isn’t a gynaecologist or gynaeoncologist, says stage 1 is when the tumour is confined to just the ovary.

As a small patch of the wall was also removed (and apparently it was just a very tiny amount), would that generally classify as the tumour not being confined to just the ovary? Or for it to be considered to have spread beyond the ovary, does the tumour have to grown and spread right into another organ/tissue etc?

From my understanding, stage 1 is when the tumour is confined entirely to the ovary. To be entirely confined to the ovary does it mean that a tumour does not touch any other part of the body?

• Hi Glass not full

Does this help?

Stage 1 ovarian cancer | Cancer Research UK

1C2- is where there is some cancer on the outside of the ovary.

Stage 2 | Ovarian cancer | Cancer Research UK

Stage 2B would be where the cells have actually gone into the ileum?

I am not sure in your case whether is was just stuck to it or whether the cells had got into it. I suppose to get the whole picture - you need the full results and to be staged individually by your doctor.

I see you have posted in Ask a Nurse already, I wonder if talking to your GP so they can go through your individual results and what they mean for you, would help.

Hope this helps

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply.

So currently it’s unstaged.

The surgeon has written on the letter excision of a  large ovarian tumour “with a small patch of wall of the distal ileum (firmly adherent to tumour capsule)” so implying that it was maybe just stuck to it. He said it was easier to remove the small patch so the tumour could be removed whole rather than having to cut into it etc.

He has also said that at the time of the surgery there was no other sign of disease.

Gynae-oncologist however says that at this stage he cannot say if there is cancer anywhere else etc.

I don’t think the GP has the histology report either - just the letter that the surgeon has sent.

i have asked for a copy of it - partly for this but also because it said low grade apparently whereas the initial biopsy came back as high grade, which would fit with the surgeon confirming that it was “rapidly enlarging” I thought the report would give the size of the tumour but my CNS says it doesn’t which I thought was a bit strange. So sadly now I don’t know exactly much it had grown from when it was initially found to removal.