Low grade but rapidly enlarging mass

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

So, histology found my endometrioid ovarian adenocarcinoma to be low grade - despite the original biopsy stating high grade.

The surgeon has now written on the letter to the gynaeoncologist that the surgery was had been urgent due to a “rapidly enlarging mass”…

I’m confused - to me this seems contradictory? Low grade on Google suggests slow growing but the surgeon says it was growing rapidly - which does actually fit in line more with the findings of the biopsy.

I did ask my gynaeoncologist about this but they just dismissed it.

But now I’m concerned that this may impact what the proposed treatment options may be.

The situation is already complicated by the fact that it wasn’t a gynaeoncologist who removed the 15x15cm mass.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Hi Glass not full

I remember talking with my oncologist as I had a high grade endometrial cancer.

From my understanding you are right in that in general high grades can behave more aggressively and lower grade tends to be more slow growing. However it is my understanding that also the pathology and the particular type is also important. So it is possible to have a lower grade but for the type to still grow quickly. I believe that endometroid adenocarcinoma may be on of those. So the grade is how the cells look and it may be that when examined they did not look a lot different to the normal cells so they were low grade but when the pathology came back with the type then that type is one that can grow more quickly.

Why not give the Support Line a call tomorrow and ask one of the nurses to explain it and they could also suggest what further treatment may be needed.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane - I will do.

That does make sense though.

It’s interesting because the biopsy prior to surgery said high grade which made sense given how fast it seemed to be growing, so I wasn’t at all surprised by that.

But then histology after the mass was removed said low grade. That was the shock given the biopsy finding but also the confirmation that the mass had been growing quickly!

I also understand that with this type there’s also quite a high chance of recurrence too?

Hope you’re doing well! Pray tone1