Treatment

• 13 replies
  • 44 subscribers
  1. Any tips on keeping well when having chemotherapy.
  2. I am due to see oncologist on Friday so I assume chemotherapy is going to be his treatment offer. 
  3. Really scared so any tips on what to ask or hpw to cope would be welcome.
  4. Xx
  • Hi Nellie,

Sorry you find yourself here again - but welcome to the group.

I also had a stage 2b tumour removed, along with full hysterectomy, at the end of 2020. Just completed 6 cycles of chemo on Carboplatin and Paclitaxel, and keeping everything crossed for confirmation that I’m now in remission and moving on to 3-monthly checkups.

For me the side effects weren’t too bad overall. The anti-sickness meds did a great job of keeping nausea and sickness away (and ginger biscuits and ginger tea did the rest!). Constipation was a challenge until I discovered Dulco-ease and became best friends with prune juice Blush, and my red and white blood counts have been a bit up and down over the weeks, so I’ve been strict about not eating processed meats, raw and undercooked eggs and fish, unpasteurised dairy and washing all my fruit and salad, to avoid infection.

All I’m left with now is neuropathy in my toes (which I’m told might take a few months to get better). One to watch out for - and now taking Vitamin B6 and massaging with lavender and chamomile as recommended to me.....will let you know if it works !

Good luck with your chemo - and keep in touch,

Bx

• Hi B.positive,

Thanks for the heads up on side effects.  Not fancying the neuropathy so will try massaging from the start to see if I can prevent/reduce the effect.  

Does this chemo cause complete hair loss for sure?  I am in half a mind to do something bonkers this time like dye what short hair I have bright green or something but dont want to look totally daft 3 months later!!

Nellie

• Hi Nellie,

I used a cold cap during my treatments so managed to keep most of my hair - Everybody else I’ve spoken to though who has been on Paclitaxel without using the cold cap has lost all or most of their hair by cycle 2 or 3. So, if bright green hair will make you smile right now then I’d say go for it Blush

All the best,

Bxx