New post - new to the group

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

Hello - am new to the group today.  Having undergone an operation some 6 weeks ago for tongue cancer - started as others have said with what I thought was an ulcer.....it wasn't.  

Am 6 weeks post surgery - brutal recovery is all I can truly say !!  I feel no one understands as they see me and think you are ok now right? its been 6 weeks ?  The pain has been really bad - a very sore dry tongue - hard to speak have developed a lisp - so having some speech therapy to stretch my tongue so it doesn't heal this way.  The only upside is lost weight !  It's been so so hard - am off my food a lot - can't be bothered with it as most of it taste salty or like metal.

Anyone got some encouragement please !  The cancer was removed in the biopsy and the surgery took a margin of my tongue and the base of my mouth - just feeling truly sorry for myself as this is my third cancer of a different type since 2009 - so pretty fed up to say the least !

Thank you for listening x 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear how tough the recovery from an operation for tongue cancer has been for you. I think it can be quite common for people who haven't had cancer to assume that once we have had the treatment we are 'magically' okay.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you join the head and neck cancer group where you'll find others who have had a similar experience to you and will understand all that you've been through. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"