Low Grade Marginal Lymphoma on Parotid Gland

• 30 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all, I was diagnosed with lymphoma of above in May, and started two months Rituximab treatment, once a week….I now have to be monitored every three months for two years.

i had my first monitoring consultation a month or so ago and I’m in remission, which is good news and I know for peace of mind at least I will get monitored every few months.

I was given Rituximab as my consultant said is best treatment for someone with Sjogrens Syndrome which I have probably for 10 years.

My question is this, has anyone else had this treatment and found that they know tend to get tiny skin sores, over their body, mainly on back and arms? I also had steroids given at same time as the Rituximab. I’ve also found that even though I’m active doing regular workouts, I’ve put on weight. A nurse on Macmillan said thst both these drugs can cause you to gain weight, I wonder if anyone else has had increase weight from it? Next time I see my consultant I will mention it anyway.

Any views would be appreciated.  Btw, I was told it is treatable, but it won’t go away, so just hoping it doesn’t return too soon. Consultant said possibility it can return within 5 years.

• I was given some exercises anyway by my GP which I regularly do, I also wear a splint at night to help. Will see if it improved in time

• I’ve now an appt tomorrow to see my GP about the sores I have on my arm and back, so perhaps she can shed some light as to f it’s a reaction to the Rituximab 

• Ive now seen my doctor re marks on my arms and back, she said it’s not eczema but could be from my immunotherapy. She said try to keep the marks moisturised. If it gets worse, she says return to her. So it could be effects of my Rituximab treatment in May. It hasn’t got any worse thankfully, so hopefully it will clear up soon as been a while since my treatment stopped.

• Hi again  ….. when I seen your post in the New to Community section I missed that you were already a member - sorry for missing this.

I have a rare skin NHL so the aim of my first 16 years treatment was to clear this and I am now 8 years out and everything is good.

But skin issues due to having Lymphoma or the treatments used is unfortunately not that uncommon….. but good that it’s clearing up post treatment….. just keep yourself very well hydrated as the skin needs that fluid to circulate round the body.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike. As it happens I have to drink water all throughout the day because of my Sjögren’s syndrome, hopefully it will gradually go and not return over the years, I’ll be happy for it just not to get any worse.

• Well Ive had my 2nd monitoring appt with consultant this week for my lymphoma and I got all clear, so I am pleased about that. I also talked to him again about the sores on my arms and back, he has referred me to a dermatologist as he seems to also believe it’s as a result of my Rituximab therapy last year, even though treatment finished 7 months ago. Will see if they can help me on this matter, but for now I’m very relieved I’m getting somewhere. So another 3 months till my next appointment.

• Skin problems following Ritx is not unusual but good to hear that your consultant is happy.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• What I’m trying to find now is what creams or lotions I can use to put on my sores on back and upper arms, that are the cause of my Rituximab treatment last year. I want to hear from others that have had the same effects as me from this immunotherapy and what they have used to help improve these awful marks on my body. Any help appreciated.

• There is no one lotion or potion to fit all.

The skin is very reactive to what is put on it….. so you have to be carful.

Dud you consultant not suggest anything?…… 

The problem is what does your skin need?……. feed?……. so something like..,,,,

Diprobase

Doublebase

Hydromol Cream

Dermal 200 Shower Emollient

But if the areas need treated that needs more specific clinical help so why not go in past and talk with your local pharmacist or talk with your GP.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I have a NHS appt but not til mid April. I just wanted advice from someone who may have had same reaction to the therapy as I had. I contacted a Macmillan nurse today so will wait for feedback. I want it cleared up, maybe a moisturiser or maybe antibiotics are needed, thst is why I need to speak to a professional. I will talk to a pharmacist too, my haematologist couldn’t advise anyone other than refer me to a private dermatologist