Post treatment side effects

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I have started experiencing allergic reaction 4 months after finishing 6 sessions of r chop. Antihistamine tablets and creams appear to have little effect. Has anybody else experienced such an effect and what has been most effective in providing any relief?

• Hi again  let’s look for some of the group members to pick up on your post.

For context this is part of what I put on your other post in the General Cancer Treatment Group.

I had the big brother of R-CHOP - R-EPOCH…… but I had no reactions but over the years I have talked with a number of people in the Non-Hodgkin lymphoma group but also on the various Lymphoma Action Support Platforms who have long lasting reactions with developing long term skin issues like Psoriasis…….. most people need a referral to Dermatology to get more specific help.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Very sorry to hear this. That would certainly be some form of immune dis-regulation. What comes to mind is that, after immune suppression (treatment), you "may" have experienced an immune rebound, or a period of immune hyperactivity. Lymphoma, as well as treatment, harms the marrow and may lead to periods of inexplicable immune system activity. Is it something akin to psoriasis?

Since normal anti-histamines are not truly effective, you might ring up and enquire if a short course of an immune suppressing steroid might be appropriate. Short of that, a stronger topical steroid cream may be effective. Bear in mind also that it might not be best for you at this point. Cortico-steroids, such as the deleterious Prednisone can fairly quickly calm an immune system. In the short term, they are not all that bad, other than increased appetite and reduced ability to sleep.

I received high dose Prednisone for about six years, as I had a transplanted immune system that did not agree all that well with my body. I am still on low doses, as well as an inhibitor-class drug. There is a solution, but one must rattle their cage, so to speak, to catch interest in your case. 

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.