Non Hodgkin’s lymphoma , possible 3rd time having treatment

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone . 

I was diagnosed in 2016 with NHL , and had ritriximab treatment . I was in remission for 5 years and in 2022 then needed treatment again having ritriximab and chemotherapy. I currently have a lump on my neck and had a scan yesterday . My question is, will remission times in between treatment going to become shorter now . So first time I was in remission 5 years and this time 2 years . Is it a spiral now until the end? I know highlander will give great advice and he was a pillar of support on my other 2 treatment cycles . 

keep strong everyone xxxx 

• Hi again  there is no one size fits all in this.

I have a different type of incurable Low Grade NHL diagnosed in 1999 and over my first 14 years the length between treatments did become shorter and shorter eventually reaching about 9 months…… but my last treatment in Oct 2015 put in me remission and I remain in remission to this day…… and ‘the end’ is not round the corner.

Back in late 2013 my condition became very aggressive and was showing as a different aggressive fast growing type of NHL and I was told that the treatment plan was the last tool in the box and if it did not work I would have a few years……. But it worked….. and the best thing is that over the past 10 years a few new treatments have come on line so I now have a fall back Thumbsup

In your own works - keep strong ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the positive response . I’ll await the scan results and take it from there . Appreciate your time as always 

• Sorry to hear of the flare up. One thing to bear in mind is that we are not in a static medical state. Advancements are continually made. New therapies are introduced. New combinations arrive. They become increasingly effective and normally less toxic. Existing drugs are re-purposed. There is CAR-T Cell therapy and even stem cell transplants.

On a personal note, at immediate post-treatment relapse I was assigned an "extremely poor" prognosis. 15 years ago. That prognosis dropped three additional times. A second relapse and two additional cancers arrived. I am still here and delighted to be anywhere.

I say chin up and give it a go. Life is worth living and cancer is worth fighting.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Thanks so much for your reply . I totally agree that the treatments are changing and becoming more effective , with new combinations being discovered all the time , I should hear this week on my CT scan results . I have recently started a new job before Xmas , so another worry is not receiving sick pay while receiving treatment . I’ll keep you all informed . Take care everyone and united we can beat this x