No appetite

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers
  1. Hi all, I was diagnosed with stage 4 non Hodgkin’s lymphoma in March 2022. I had 6 chemotherapy treatments from June 2022 to October 2022. I had a CT scan end of December 2022 and soon after I was told I was in remission. I felt good for a few months and not sure if I’m just more concerned of what might be going on in my body but lately I haven’t got much of an appetite. I’m ok with breakfast and lunch but it’s my main meal that I’m literally forcing myself to eat. I do all the cooking as hubby doesn’t cook. I only give myself a smallish portion because I do cook healthy meals and I feel I should eat for my health. I’m not loosing weight. About a month ago I had a very bad bout of diarrhoea that lasted for 2 weeks. Never had anything like it before. The GP said it could have been a virus. Is it normal to feel so disinterested in eating?Thanks for any info. 
    regards,

Meryl

• Hi again  and it’s good to hear from you although not about your challenges around food.

Appetite challenges unfortunately can happen especially following having stomach issues.

Fir the 4 months post my final treatment I lived on small but often cups of food……. initially good home made liquidised soups. I just could not eat any plate of food…… but eventually this come ok.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, thanks for that, yes I love soup and I make my own vegetable/bean chunky soup so looking forward to cooler days coming up. It is a struggle and the bout of diarrhoea really got to me. We are going to see my son in Toronto next week for a couple of weeks so that should cheer me up somewhat. Hope you are keeping well. 

Meryl

• Hi Meryl, I had a few bad diarrhoea episodes and it’s hard work as it knocks the digestive system out of balance as well as your appetite….. let’s look for things to settle down.

Your trip sounds amazing, it took a few years before my consultant said he was happy for me to travel abroad and even now, 8 years on from my last treatment my GP insists that I have emergency antibiotics with me although as yet I have not needed them.

Have a great time.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I had problems with absolute lack of appetite when I was recovering from a stem cell transplant. Just no interest in eating whatsoever. Doctor prescribed a short course of Marinol, which is synthetic THC. It had the effect of "jump starting" my appetite and after a few days use, I was able to stop it and had no further trouble. Not sure of its availability and use in the UK, but it is one patient's experience.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.