Back pain - treatment cause?

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Today I have sharp, pulsing low back pain. Very unusual sensation, taking my breath at times.

I had first R-CHOP 9 days ago, today day 4 of filgrastim injections. Wondering if this pain may be linked to that as I know bone pain can be expected. Like a lot of people, just over think and worry about every little thing! 

• I never experienced it in my back, but I did in other places and it was quite severe. It could well be the injections but if you are getting concerned reach out to your medical team for reassurance :) 

I have found through chemo I have had lots of strange feelings and pains that are somewhat indescribable, but they have all eventually improved during each cycle.

i hope this helps and good luck with your ongoing treatment

• Thank you. I've taken some pain relief and having a lay down, if it doesn't ease I'll call my team. 

• Hi again 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the injection pains. These injections are designed to wake up your bone marrow and significant side effect is indeed is all over bone pain especially down your back.

I had these injections for 4-5 days after my 6 cycles of R-EPOCH and daily for 4 months following my second Stem Cell Transplant. These injections are designed to wake up your bone marrow

I took a few Paracetamol with breakfast then did the injection. But I was also  prescribed Piriton or Clarityn Antihistamine by my teams as this bizarrely stopped most of the pain developing, these were taken as per the dose instructions - worth talking your team about this as not a lot of hospitals do this.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My husband has just finished 6 cycles of RCHOP. He had really bad back pain and sternum pain when he was doing the injections. He found regular paracetamol and ibuprofen worked well. And lots of rest. 

• I’m sorry for your issue. I hope you’re getting well soon. As far as I know, bones don’t hurt, so I think you have nothing to worry about. My brother had a similar situation. He had 6 cycles of R-CHOP. He was in physiotherapy in toronto, so a physiotherapist helped him relieve his back pain. Some simple exercises turned out to work well for him. In addition, he took some paracetamol too. Anyway, don’t forget to keep us updated. I’ll be waiting for your reply. Best wishes to you all, guys!!!

• Most defenitely the injections! 

I thought if was my new mattress fault so I threw it away Joy

It is a very weird sensation going through your spine. Because they lowered your imune system these injections will bring it back again (if i am right). It is very odd but you will get used to it and only lasts a few days or a week or so while you have the injections.

Best wishes,

Ingrid

Diagnosed in may 2018 with Primary Mastetic Large B-Cell Non hodgkins Lymphoma. In remission since November 2018.