Hair gone

• 8 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Well it’s happened 2 days before my second RChop my hair was literally jumping out of my head. Took the plunge and had it shaved and feel better for it. Intend to wear big earrings, bright lipstick and loud scarves

• Hi  although it’s a hard part of the treatment journey, shaving it all off gives you control and wear things that you may have never thought of wearing before - well done.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• You look great!  Well done xx

• You look beautiful! Maybe silly but I loved buying different coloured soft chemo hats and scarves Heart love the big earrings too! 

Diagnosed in may 2018 with Primary Mastetic Large B-Cell Non hodgkins Lymphoma. In remission since November 2018. 
  • Yeah. I had nearly waist-length hair prior to chemo. I held off on shaving until my youngest told me I was reminding him of Gollum (from Lord of the Rings) but I needn't have worried -- soon I had no hair at all, anywhere on my body! Even though I was very sorry to lose my hair, I love my "naked" head and these days I only wear hats if I feel cold. The hair is starting to grow back, I now look like a bad toothbrush, but on warm days I take the hat off. My conclusion from the mostly non-reaction I get is that society is by now so used to seeing all kinds of appearances that no one bats an eyelid. For me, comfort is king, so while I do care about my appearance, that takes second place to comfort. The hats, however, are great opportunity to accessorise! I have several in different colours and designs. 

• I’m so glad you are in remission. My beautiful stubborn 33 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 months ago. She has one more chemo left. They have said no more. If she relapses it’ll be CAR-T. As her mother I’m so worried. She doesn’t want me particularly, but her boyfriend and friends. It’s soo difficult, but I’m starting to accept it all. I have no choice really. 
    I just want someone to tell me she’s going to be ok, but no one can give me that promise. I’m also a well qualified nurse, so want to know the ins and outs of treatment. It’s just so difficult.
    I do like to read positive stories, so thank you for that. 

• Hi  and welcome to the group but sorry to hear about your daughter and her diagnosis…… this is a hard time for you.

The Lymphoma journey can be very challenging both for the person going through the treatment but also for those looking on…… on the whole Lymphoma is very treatable but some types are more treatable then others.

There are over 60 types and sub-types of Lymphoma……. do you know the exact type she has?

was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 but I am still here living a great life…… so there is lots of hope when it comes to Lymphoma ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to hear this. I was 33 too when diagnosed. My parents came over from abroad for me each treatment to help as I have kids too. 

You just being there for her emotionally and maybe help with things she can't do if she asks, is enough. I know you want to do more and feel helpless, but you just having her back is enough.

Keep positive Two hearts

Diagnosed in may 2018 with Primary Mastetic Large B-Cell Non hodgkins Lymphoma. In remission since November 2018. 
  • She has the same cancer as you. I try to keep positive but it’s so hard at times.