Malt Lymphoma

• 5 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello,

I finally have a diagnosis after a year of tests etc… today I saw consultant who confirmed Malt Lymphoma.. I still have a PET scan Saturday which will show how much the nodule in my lung & 4 other lumps have grown. Consultant has suggested I go on Rituxmab for 4 weeks.. can anyone confirm that my hair won’t fall out as I have read that it can.. I’m very worried now after consultant said it doesn’t.  Why does it say it does.. 

Thanks. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear about your MALT diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have Extranodal marginal zone lymphoma (also called MALT lymphoma) but for some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Unfortunately there are no certainties when it comes to Hair loss with Rrituximab

Over the years I have been volunteering on this Community but also with Lymphoma Action I have talked with people who have not lost their hair, others say their hair thins and unfortunately others have lots their hair….. time will tell.

I had Rituximab as part of my R-EPOCH treatment and I lost my hair very quickly.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My dad did the Ritunmab therapy and did not loos his hair. Maybe it is a possibility and not a given. 

• Hi, I was diagnosed with MALT NHL low grade on parotid gland, last year Feb and started 8 doses of Rituximab once a week for 8 weeks in May 2023. I was told by my haematologist that my hair wouldn’t fall out, and it didn’t, I’m now in remission, had 4th monitoring recently and still all clear. I suppose everyone is different, but hopefully you will be ok and  your hair will still be ok.

• Thanks for this.. I hope mine will be ok too.. Blush