Which stage?

• 3 replies
  • 16 subscribers

We were told my hubby is stage 3A. He is due to have PET scan on Friday. His consultant said this was to give a proper staging? Does this mean stage 3A might change? He is worried he might find out the lymphoma has spread to different places which will increase his stage. He has already had a CT scan but we were told the PET scan can go into more detail.

• Hi again  ...... the simple answer is yes.

Until ALL tests/scans are done and the results are reviewed........ staging is often initially an educated guess.

I went through all the stages up to stage from 1 to 4 and back again........ over my 24+ years.

It is VERY important to 'get' that when it comes to Staging in Lymphoma it is rather different story........ and unlike most other cancers like Kidney, Lung, Breast….. where a high stage number like stage 4 is a very poor prognosis, in Lymphoma it’s just not.

I was stage 4a back in 2013 with significant involvement........ and it made no difference to my outcomes.

Staging in Lymphomas basically identifies.......

1) Where the Lymphoma is presenting in the body..... yes Lymphoma can present anywhere in the body but makes no real difference to getting treated.

2) What is the best treatment approach and best treatment type for the presentation.

3) How long treatment needs to last.

Any other questions do ask them.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to hear of this. Lymphoma is a unique cancer. Some call it a "liquid cancer" in that its cells flow in the lymphatic system and take up residence wherever they please - no rhyme or reason for it is known. However, since the cells flow in the lymph, and in tissues fed by the blood, they have nowhere to hide from the chemotherapy.  Thus, lymphoma remains treatable at all stages. If it will respond to therapy at stage I, it will respond at stage IV. Not all lymphomas respond to all therapies. However, most lymphoma therapy is well defined and rather effective. 

In my journey, I have been at stage IV at least twice with two different lymphomas. There has been no sign of either lymphoma since 2015, and no sign of the marrow cancer I had since 2017. So, chin up! Life is worth living and it is well worth fighting for. My advise is to read up on the type that he has, as "knowledge is power" and this will allow you to be his best advocate.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Hi

I was also stage 4 when diagnosed. That was in 2020. Its a big trip into the unknown and a very steep learning curve. I've posted before but I was told at the start of my treatment that if you are unfortunate enough to get a cancer lymphoma is one of the manageable ones. It's not easy with lots of head noise to manage especially at the start. Personally once I had got through a couple of cycles it all become very tedious. It is doable though and lots on here have got through.