Side effects of Radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 14 subscribers

I am currently three quarters of a way through my twelve sessions of Radiotherapy for Non Hodgkin Lymphoma situated at the top of my left lung.

My question is I feel that the muscles around the top of my neck, shoulders and tops of my arms are on fire and is this usual?

i was expecting soreness of the skin, like a serious sun tan, but not these muscular aches and pains. Maybe they aren’t connected?

• Hi again  like chemotherapy, radiotherapy is basically used to melt away any masses…… the areas/organs where masses grow will often also enclose nerves and muscle….. once the mass starts to melt away these nerves and muscle will start to stretch in the new space and this can cause localised pains….. but the pain can also radiate across the body.

I had a lot of chemo but also 45 sessions of radiotherapy (I also had 2 Allo SCTs)…… and I had worse pain during and more so after my treatments than I had leading up to treatment.

Imagine doing a marathon without any training…… how much would your muscles be burning after the marathon?…… it’s the same with these treatments……. these are explanations I received from my various consultants.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Obviously I am no medical professional and can only relate back to my own journey but if you are in anyway concerned do talk with your own team.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge