R - CHOP voice changes after cycle 5

• 12 replies
  • 16 subscribers

I’ve noticed my partners voice has changed…hoarse sounds like he needs to clear his voice all the time. No temperature or any other symptoms 

this is after cycle 5 of 6 of the chemo

does this sound familiar to anyone else out there? Blush

• Hi  and welcome across to this corner of the community although I see that you have been posting in another area of the community.

I had different treatments R-EPOCH, Radiotherapy and 2 Stem Cell Transplants and I can say that at times I felt hoarse and had throat issues…… These treatments are strong and the body can take a hit…… especially the throat……

It did clear once treatment finished…… the main thing that  I was told was to keep well hydrated so a few litres of water a day as the throat needs to be flushed.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for responding…that’s very reassuring in a way. I was quite concerned but didn’t want to alarm my partner as he’s finding this hard to deal with at times.

im on 2 forums as we first thought he had testicular cancer but actually it was high grade testicular non Hodgkin lymphoma.

youve been through a lot! I hope your in a good place now BlushBlush

• It’s not that unusual for Lymphoma to be initially diagnosed as something else….. only to find out it’s actually one of the 60 types of Lymphoma. 

Most Side Effects of Treatments do clear up once the treatment is finished.

Yes my story is rather complicated See my story as I was first diagnosed back in 1999 at 42 and had to lots if treatment but I am coming up to 8 years out from my last treatment and I turned 68 in Nov and doing great.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you and well done you…what a story. 
    I’m so pleased for you and your family that you are doing great. 
    best wishes BlushBlush

• Depending on the dosage of the steroid Prednisone (the "P" in CHOP), the voice can certainly change - usually to a lower register. As with most anti-cancer drugs, its effects are cumulative, yet are also usually reversible. Another possibility is that since his immune system is suppressed by the chemo, he "may" have picked up any one of the scores of viruses in circulation.

He does not have testicular cancer, but lymphoma that has taken up residence in the testes. Lymphoma is a "liquid" cancer of the immune system. Thus, it can flow into and take up residence anywhere that blood or lymph flows in the body. It may well be located elsewhere as well, but it cannot hide from the treatment as it is located somewhere within the same circulatory system in which the chemo therapy flows.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Thank you. That is very helpful and I appreciate you taking time to reply.

hope you’re doing ok and take care Blush

• When I was on higher doses of Prednisone, nurses would ask me "Your voice is rather resonant. Are you on Prednisone?" Apparently, it was rather obvious. I hope that he is doing well. Aggressive lymphomas are more susceptible to therapy than the slower-growing (indolent) varieties, so that bit is good.

I have tapered off to but a single cancer, so life is good.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• As far as we know he is. I believe he is scanned after his last of the 6 cycles then see about possible radiotherapy. We were told he should progress well so fingers crossed.

glad to know you’re doing ok and I wish you well

take care Blush

• Hi. My voice certainly changed while on treatment. It went back to normal after treatment but I can't remember how long it took. It was not something I kept a note of. Reading the other reply's it makes sense that the steroids were causing it, I hadn't really thought about it. If your partner has completed cycle five your well through it. Unfortunately it's then back to a waiting game for scans and checkups. It's a lot easier than the diagnosis periods and treatment but can still be stressful as each checkup comes around.

• I have been on steroids since 2015, from high dose to now low dose. Prednisone is a corticosteroid, which causes muscle wasting/weakening. The vocal chords are muscles. When their strength, their tension, is lessened, they tend to produce lower frequency sounds. Thus, our voices often take on a lower, more resonant tone.