Radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Good afternoon. 

I now have twelve radiotherapy sessions booked starting Monday 12th February and ending Tuesday 27th February.

Reason for my post - I am meant to go on a 14 night Norwegian Cruise on Thursday 29th February.

My question is - Will I be fit enough to go or will it wipe me out? 

Any advise, suggestions would be very gratefully received

• Hi, wish i had the answer we are all different in how we cope. I think i would phone up the radiotherapy doctor and ask them, they would probably know more about the side effects. There are so many types of radiotherapy some are stronger than others. I had 1  big dose and was fine a friend had 5 doses over 4 weeks and was shattererd. Maybe your general health comes into it too, as in how poorly you might be or how fit you are, deffinatly a phone call to radiotherapy department and ask

• Hi again  it would be safe to say that at the end of 2+ weeks Radiotherapy you are most likely going to be fatigued in some way, just like chemo, the effects of radiotherapy tends to be accumulative this is down to the treatment itself but also the regular trips to hospital, waiting around, parking……. I certainly was after 3 weeks radiotherapy.

There is also a raised risk of infection as radiotherapy does affect your immune system to some degree.

I would always advise that when you go in holiday regardless where you go you get some emergency antibiotics from your GP take with you just in case.

It goes without saying that it’s important to have good travel insurance in place for a cruise.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I have just spoken to one of the radiologists who was speaking with the consultant’s permission and I was told the possible side effects - breathlessness, sore throat, etc etc. Explained that because an X-ray was first requested by the GP in July 2023 and we booked on 3rd August 2023 the travel insurance wouldn’t cover cancellation. As I am only slightly breathless and otherwise non symptomatic and Stage 1, Low Grade and Slow Growing, I am asking them if it would be possible to defer treatment until our return from the cruise. Your thoughts. 

• My thoughts are you see what your team says and take it from there…… but will a 6 week delay make much difference in the long run…... it may not..

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge