Second Treatment WM - options

• 6 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi,

I was diagnosed with WM back in 2018, had treatment in 2019 and I have been monitored since. Unfortunately the last exams have not been encouraging as WM is back and I would need to do a second treatment. I am female and just over 50, not the normal patient for WM.

I have been given two options for treatment:

1- To have Brukinsa for many years until the body develops its own antibodies and they have to use another treatment. I would like to ask if somebody is under this treatment and what are the secondary effect for taking it on a daily basis, what is the body reaction to it? I have never taken any medication for a long period of time, never been on the pill therefore it feels estrange to take a medication for an undetermined number of years. 

2- The second option is a more straight forward chemotherapy, shorter but with a great impact of your body, Bendamustine & Rituximab. The treatment will last for 4 months and hopefully last for many years. I have the same question as No 1, has sb taken this treatment, what are the side effects?

There is not a way out but I would like to take an informed decision based in experiences and own judgement. It is scary to know that either treatment won't last for ever and I will be thinking in a treatment few years down the line. 

I will appreciate your valuable experience.

Thanks a lot. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have Waldenström’s macroglobulinaemia but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma  ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

There are a number of group members who have WM so let’s look for them to pick up on your post.

You can also look through the various posts (hit the main group name and scroll down) and as always you can hit reply and ask some questions and see if the member is looking in.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,

I also have WM and am a young 50 something female. Although can't really help with your question, it's really reassuring to know there are others like me!!! I am currently on active monitoring and was only diagnosed in May last year. I will be interested to see the responses. 

Let me know how you get on and sending best wishes!!

• Hi Mike, 

I am terribly sorry that you have had a diagnosis as such a young age. Thank you for your support for the WM. 
    I have read the chat and found useful the post related to the medication. 
    I have not taken a decision yet as the treatment has mot started but I’ll have to take it soon. 
    thank you for your support. 

• Hi, 

I’am sorry to heard you have been diagonales with WM. It took 2 years from when I was diagnosed to have my first treatment. 
    I’ll post how I am feeling once the treatment starts.

warm wishes

• Hi again  although I was diagnosed over 24 years ago and had lots of treatment for my type of Low Grade NHL….. I turned 68 last Nov and am still living a great life……. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge