Post chemo illness - advice pls

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

Hi all,

My dad has recently finished round 6/6 of DRC for Waldenstrom's. Unfortunately over the last 36 hours, he has become quite unwell. Seems to be a cold of some sort but with extreme fatigue.

Our chemo team has said to keep an eye and bring him in if his temp exceeds 37.8.

Very anxious at the moment as we hope he improves. Is anyone able to share any advice or times they have been unwell post chemo?

His neutrophils are down at about 0.3 - mixture of the cancer and the chemo.

Thank you x

• Hi  and I am sorry to hear about your dad.

Post treatment ‘left over’ heath issues can come along. As his Neutrophils are low he will be more open to infections. 

My counts (especially my Neuts) were low for a long time post treatment…… in fact I had no infections during my treatment but the 18 months post my treatment I was 5 times back in hospital (30+ days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Neutropenic Sepsis x2, A Fib.

You just need to keep a close eye on him - I was given this simple rule for keeping eye on infections…… If my temperature is 37.5°C, repeat in one hour. If my temperature has increased, whether I feel unwell or not, I must contact the hospital.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge