Rituximab alone over 8 week period for my mum

• 18 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi

My mum started rituximab on its own last week and second dose this Thursday, on consent form it said this is not a cure just to prolong life, so does this mean she will go in remission if it works after the 8 weeks.

She has 6 cm tumour in lung and lymph nodes and pleural effusion on left side, her NHL started in lung because my mum likes to be different, and they are treating it solely with rituximab.

• Hi what makes you say that? Is it not a good thing they won’t put my mum through anymore 

• Has she had any other treatment apart from rituximab ?

Doing nothing is palliative care

• They said they active monitoring, palliative care is for people dying she isn’t she’s active etc 

• I think you need to speak to her Consultant. He’s the only one who can tell you what the plan for your Mum is 

Cattie

• You said "They aren’t giving her any more treatment"

Seems you are now saying they are not giving her anymore treatment at this time which is completely different

• Yes that’s what they had because it’s so close to her heart and any chemo/radio would not benefit her it could do more harm to health so they monitoring, I thought this site was supposed to make u feel more at ease with cancer but sounds more like I’m trying to get caught out on what I’m saying so I’m not going to bother 

• Hi  this is a challenging and emotional time for all the family..... As we know these types of platforms are not the best communication methods as we can all read what we think is said...... the most important thing is for you to get support from others who are dealing with the exact same challenges.

At the moment there are not many in the same position as yourself in this specific group but you may want to have a look at our general Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer groups where you will connect with others navigating the same challenges.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. These services provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and aim to give support to all the family.

Always around to chat at any time ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Nobody is trying to catch anyone out.

Most of the people posting here are having treatment or have had it.

Hope your Mum lives a long and happy life.