Stem cell harvest

• 10 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi, I start my release therapy tomorrow for my harvest next week.Is there anything I should be wary off? Thanks 

• Do remember to put posts relating to all things Stem Cell Transplant on to our dedicated Stem cell transplant (SCT) group as this will widen your ability to get reply’s as the SCT process is basically the Madame regardless the type of blood cancer.

I had two Allo SCTs as I could not be put into remission for cell harvest but you most likely will be having Injections to wake up your bone marrow and to produce more stem cells

My brother was my donor and one side effect was all over bone pain especially down the back as the injections are designed to make your bone marrow work over time.

He was told to take a few Paracetamol with breakfast then had the injections but he was also prescribed Piriton or Clarityn Antihistamine by the teams as this bizarrely stopped most of the pain developing - worth talking your team about this as not a lot of hospitals do this.

I was on similar injections for 4 months after my second Allo SCT and I also took the Antihistamines and had no real bone pain - all the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike, I start the injections in the morning  Thumbsup

• Hello!

I've just seen your post ....  so I guess your therapy must have started by now?

I do hope everything is going smoothly for you & that you don't suffer any side effects.

Just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you and sending big hugs xxx

• Hi Penny, yes I had my harvest last week. Not all plain sailing but dine know. I should be having my transplantt the 2nd week of August .

Hows your partner getting on?

• Hello!

I missed your previous message. I'm so sorry I haven't replied before now.

How are you getting on? You may have already begun your treatment by now. We are thinking of you ... You are very brave.

Keep strong and speak soon.

Xx

• Hi Penny 

...Yes I came in on Tuesday and started the SCT yesterday and finish it today,bit of anti  climax  really.The staff are great but I think boredom is going to be a problem. 

Hope your partner is doing well and rake care x

• Sending you lots of hugs.

Thinking of you & sending healing thoughts xxx

• Hello!

Im so sorry that so much time has passed since I last wrote. I really wanted to give you more support.

Are you still in hospital?

Please let me know you are OK 

Penny Hugging

• Hi Penny,I came home on friday after two and a half weeks in hospital. The SCT went relatively well.Now I'm home the fatigue and loss of appetite due to no taste are the only problems but should pass in time.

Hows your partner getting on Penny?

Many thanks John 

• Not to bad, thanks John. He says he finds it comforting that your Stem Cell treatment went so well - and didn't last too long.

I'm so pleased you were stuck in hospital for only two and a half weeks.

Do you have someone at home to look after you? 

Great to hear things are going smoothly xx