Multiple Myeloma

• 3 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My son-in-law was diagnosed 4 years ago. He had one stem cell replacement. It lasted 2years. It is now spreading at speed. Only last week he received a McMillan nurse visit at home. She is going to help with pain management. He still goes to work everyday as it is his way of coping. He works for himself. Pain is his enemy. Does anyone have any advice? 

I have survived malignant melanoma and had total hysterectomy for precancerous cells in the lining of my womb. I am over 70 and thankful. He is 50. Sometimes l feel guilty that l will out live him. I help my daughter.

He wants to know how he will die but my daughter isn't ready to discuss that yet. He has been told he may have another 12months.

I just want to understand and help the family. They have two grown up sons. One married. The other getting married this year.

Thank you

• Hi AngelGabriel,

I am really sorry to read about your son-in-law, that sounds truly awful.

Is there any chance that he can get onto a trial to try and see if there are any new treatments out there? I have come across people on their 6th or 7th line of treatment and so I am really hoping that the medical teams will be able to find something for him given his relatively young age.

I am sorry that I can’t help with pain management but hopefully someone will be along soon who can. As to going to work, if he is happy and able to do that, then I would say it is a good thing as distraction can often be very helpful.

Wishing you the very best

Greg

• Hello I am on my 3rd treatment at 27th jan bone marrow was 90%,very highparaprotein 72g/L now23rd march paraprotein 13g/L and other blood reading back to normal   bone marrow start  4th cycle month Zometa injections ,the vitamins taking at present k2 with d3 b12 , berry favour cbd sprey well somethings must be helping also my calcium is back to normal be still early day yet  good luck everyone.

• Hi, I'm the same age and had a stem cell.  Hats off to him for going to work!  I cant yet because of my feet and general tiredness.  Hasn't he another lot of cells in storage?  Sorry to ask.  BTW I tried St Lukes for pain advice, perhaps you've something similar near you?