Multiple myeloma

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi,I had my SCT in August 22 and all went well. I'm on lenelomide maintenance which is keeping everything at bay however the last month I'm getting a lot of fatigue.Ive been of work for a month but I'm due back on Monday.The way I feel at the moment there's no chance of that so I guess I'm asking if anyone has any remedies for this as my team say my bloods are ok apart from low neutrophils which I'm having a weekly injection for. Thanks John 

• Hi John,

As background, I am also on lenalidomide maintenance and I have fatigue.

I can suggest 4 options.

- Ask about reducing the dose of lenalidomide.

- You imply that the fatigue is new. You could just delay coming back to work, hoping that the fatigue will go away again.

- You don't mention the nature of your work. If the above still leave you fatigued, is there a way of changing your role so that fatigue is less problematic?

- Personally fatigue has been the main side effect of the chemo for me from the start, so I have gone part time (otherwise known as semi-retirement). According to my consultant, this is pretty common wjth MM patients. Of course I don't know if this doable financially for you (MacMillan can give advice on the financial side of things) or whether that is what you want to do.

• Hi chicken, thanks for the reply.

I went back to work a year last march but have been off for 5 weeks now and will take another month to see how it fares.

We can't lower the dose as last October my paraproteins started to rise so it was increased to 10mg  which has lowered them again. The fatigue has started since my neutrophils have dropped. If I do anything physical as in mowing the lawn the next day is a total write off. This worries me as my job role is physical.

My consultant doesn't really give me any explanation for this and says he'll test my thyroid on next set of bloods.