Colds and viruses while in remission

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

hello there, 

im hoping to get some swift informed judgements. 

My mother was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in March 2021. She is in remission but unfortunately is very immobile and stays in the one room. My brother cares for her. 

I live out of town and visit every couple of months. I last saw her in October so due a visit. It is my Grandma’s funeral on Monday (my Dad’s mother. My Mum won’t make it) so I’m planning to see my Mum tomorrow while I’m around. 

However I have a cold so I’m not sure. I’ve tested negative for Covid. I know it’s generally important for her not to get sick. Most of the advice online seems geared towards those receiving chemo specifically. Are colds and viruses possibly dangerous for those con remission? I have a feeling that she will tell me to go see her anyway but I’m not sure if I should. 

thanks in advance! 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community but sorry to hear about your mum.

I help out around our various blood cancer groups, although I don't have Myeloma I have lived and been treated for my type of incurable Lymphoma for over 24 years.

I am now 8 years out from my last treatment and in September 2016 I was told remission and NED (No Evident Disease)…… but there not being any ‘evident cancer cells’ does not say that there are not some cells lurking and reduction in my immune system keeping these under control could open the door for relapse …. my immune system remains significantly compromised….. This winter alone I have had 2 full on chest infections requiring antibiotics….. plus coughs, a long term runny nose and tickly throat.

Yes I am in remission but my Consultant has always said that the consistency of my remission requires my immune system to continuously fight my cancer from developing…… and this in turn opens the back door for infections to develop……

Little infections and bugs that a ‘normal’ ‘healthy’ immune system would have no problem controlling is another story when a compromised immune system as to deal with this.

In these remission years I have been about 5 times back in hospital (30+days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Neutropenic Sepsis x2….. so care has to be taken.

You also have to take into account that your mum sounds as though she may well be fragile and frail…… and in none cancer circumstances you would still take care for her not to come in contact with bugs…… this is even more important now.

Good ventilation, good sanitisation and if in any doubt ware masks.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello,

thank you for the welcome and for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your lymphoma and your illnesses while in remission. 

This has confirmed my thinking. I have spoken with my Mum, I’m hoping I’ll have cleared the cold by Monday so I’m going to delay by a day and will keep the visit brief with a mask and windows open. 

It is extremely strange but fortunate that since her diagnosis she has not caught anything or had other illnesses. Even when my brother has had colds and continued to care for her. She just said on the phone that it is like she is immune but of course that’s not the case and I don’t want to be the one to pass something on to her. I’ll be careful around my brother at the funeral too. 

thanks again for the reply.