Hi, just joined, needed to feel part of this group

• 6 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I'm booked in for surgery next week for lymph node dissection of my groin, opening up of primary site with skin graft, needless to say my anxiety levels ate through the roof Upside down  in all my 59 yrs it will be the first time in hospital, first general anesthetic, first of everything Flushed

• Hello Sunnybrid

it will not be anyway near as bad as you are expecting. I’m the biggest scaredy cat in the world so I feel qualified to say that.

I had the same done as you are having at the end of April, although I had to have a knee lymph node biopsy as well. Only had one very minor surgery before in my 59 years so I was terrified. My recovery in terms of the skin graft and lymph node biopsy sites was very quick and I hardly felt any real pain. The WLE is a different matter but that’s because the melanoma was on the sole of my foot. So it’s taking a long time to heal. If it had been anywhere else I would have been back to normal within a week. 

Hope that helps and if you have any questions I will try to answer them. 

Claire

• Many thanks for that, I just need to have a word with myself which I will do when I've finished unpacking and repacking my hospital bag for the seventh time Face palm♀️Shrug♀️Rofl

• Don’t be embarrassed to be scared and anxious. 

If your day is anything like mine you need to pack something to read or do. There’s a lot of hanging around. I was in at 0730 and home at 2230. I had expected to be lying in a bed prior to surgery but no, I was sitting in a waiting room for a long time in between scans and surgery which was tedious and not very comfortable. 

Someone has probably recommended using bio oil on your scars once the dressings come off. I’m finding that helpful. 

Best of luck with your surgery

Claire 

• I was worried before mine had it last week and was not as bad as expected. Mine was under my arm not my groin. I am managing the pain with paracetamol. Was worried about having drains in but they have been ok so far. Got an appointment today am hoping to have them out and a bit nervous about that but sure it will be ok. The general was ok I have had one before and they had there normal issue which i warned them about of being hard to get a canula in so in the end used gas to put me to sleep. I only needed one night in hospital and was then left hospital to stay with my parents as I live alone. 

• Thanx for the advice, take care and enjoy your day x

• Hope you've had your drains out and are a bit more comfortable, take care of yourself x