SLNB groin recovery

• 11 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi all, this is my first post and I am very grateful for the opportunity to raise questions. After a diagnosis of melanoma in December, I had a Wide Local Excision and a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in the groin on 4th April. I have been resting and following advice but I have a golf ball sized lump in my groin that has not reduced in size since last Wednesday; it is not hot or weeping and I have no sign of infection but it is painful, throbbing and not reducing in size. During an appointment for a wound redress today, the nurse asked for the on call doctor’s advice and they contacted the hospital. As it’s still within 2 weeks of surgery they want me to wait and rest and see if it reduces on its own. Just wondering if this is a similar experience to others and, if so, how long might the swelling take to reduce and how can it be managed with 3 children to care for too? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

As my SLNB was in my armpit rather than my groin I don't have any experience to share with you. However, I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

There are lots of forum members who have had a groin SLNB so I'm sure any that had swelling afterwards will be along soon to share their experience with you.

I hope the swelling starts to go down soon.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi I had just about the same op ,on the 9th though I had all my nodes out in my groin, I have the same  typec ofswelling ..my drain came out early, I have asked questions at the Hospital waiting to hear back, I think my problem Is lymphoedema ...no doctor appointment for sone weeks

• Thanks very much for the support and advice. Hope you are okay.

• Thanks. Been told that it’s a seroma so will look at what’s recommended to help healing. Hope you get some treatment soon.

• Thanks for asking after me . I'm very well, touch wood.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi I had a groin lymph node biopsy last August my went red and swelled up 2 weeks after surgery was given antibiotics and it went then at beginning of November had another infection swelled up and went red got more antibiotics of the doctor. Its been fine since.

• Thanks for the response. It’s making me realise that it might not be completely unexpected.

• Hi  

I had groin SLNB many years ago and I do remember it being lumpy which was very worrying what with everything else happening so I feel for you xx.

I had a skin graft at the same time so they took a fair sized chunk of flesh too! The lump did hang around for a few weeks and i found the whole area to be very painful.  But the lump did go down just as the surgeon said it would so hopefully you will start to see improvement soon x

• Thanks for the reassurance. Hope all is well with you.

• Hello

I was diagnosed with melanoma in the sole of my foot in January and had an excision on February 7. At that time I had a groin sentinel node biopsy. After surgery I had a lump that I described as a sweet potato in my thigh. It is Now April 23 and the lump has reduced in size significantly over these weeks. Now it feels like a small tootsie roll. I use a jade roller daily to move any lymphatic fluid away from the lump area. Don't know if it really helps, but it doesn't seem to be hurting either. My Dr checks me weekly while he changes my wound vac and says it's healing well. Hope this helps.