Melanoma stage 2

• 3 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi everyone, so I was told in February that the mole I had removed was melanoma stage 2. I have since been referred to St James where I am attending clinic there on the 24th April to discuss WLE and SNLB. I feel constantly tired and have almost daily headaches and in general I just feel awful!? Does anyone else feel like this? I’m thinking of asking my employer for some time out as I’ve continued to work throughout since my referral, surgery and then subsequent diagnosis. Am I being overly sensitive? I’m so tearful lately. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Like you, I was diagnosed with stage 2 melanoma but had already 'retired' so didn't need to make a decision about whether to carry on working or not. There's no right or wrong answer to this so you just have to do what feels right for you.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Nap. I have carried on working, apart from time off due to surgery and side effects from treatment. I suffer from various side effects and my employer is brilliant regarding taking time off when I am unable to work. Like you, I was stage 2 but after WLE and SNLB I am now stage 3c. I try to carry on working, because I find mentally it helps to stop my brain from dwelling on the cancer.

I am 10 months on since first diagnosis.

When first diagnosed I was also in a state of shock. I have an excellent team looking after me, and I feel much calmer now. 

You can read my journey by clicking on my name to view my profile. I update this on a monthly basis.

• Hi there Nap,

It’s such a lot to take in, it’s no surprise that you’re teary. I think tears are part and parcel of coming to terms with your diagnosis. I certainly don’t think you are being over sensitive! I’m not working, and I often wonder how people manage to work when going through surgery, treatment etc. if you are in a position to take time off and have an understanding employer, I would say go for it. You will know when you feel ready and able to return to work. 
    If you do decide to take time out, it might not be for long, and remember, if it’s a broken leg, it takes at least 6 weeks to heal. Our emotions take a bit longer to catch up with the physical stuff. I really hope you manage to find the right way forward for you.

take care, hev xx