Mum’s melanoma brain mets

• 3 replies
  • 66 subscribers

My mum had a large mole removed in 2021 on her back,it was 11mm deep. She has been on immunotherapy since may2022. 
in February, we found my mum on the floor at home, she was taken to hospital and after me pushing for a ct scan, as has previous TIA’S
something showed up, so did an mri and found two small lesions, that are bleeding on her brain. My mum has no symptoms but confusion levels were high,
but as she has dementia they think that was that more so than the lesions. We had a meeting at Christie’s where they have decided not to progress with treatment,

as already had the immunotherapy and other treatments could cause her more stress. They have said prognosis is 9-12 months!! At the minute she is okay and we

are just enjoying time, she is unaware of her prognosis as she wouldn’t understand and the doctors think that it would be better

that way. I’m just looking for advice on what to expect, I’m praying she doesn’t get pain, at the minute the cancer has only

spread to the brain,,and the doctor has said she wouldn’t have pain. I lost my dad in 2020 to oesophageal cancer that

spread and was very aggressive at the end and he was in a lot of pain, we nursed him at home as it was covid times, but

was horrible to watch. Hence my worries over my mum. Thank you in advance for any information.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum's melanoma has spread to her brain and it must be a very scary time for you. Fortunately mine hasn't spread, so I can't share any experiences with you, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello, I read your post and like latchbrook, I don’t have any experience of the cancer spreading to my brain, but I would like to let you know that my thoughts and warm wishes are with you. It’s so unfair that your dad suffered pain, which will naturally make you worry for your mum. Tell your mums caregivers your concerns, you are her voice, they should listen your concerns. The people on this site are so supportive. I’ve found reading people’s challenges and how they deal with them can be so humbling. In a strange way, it gives me a boost and helps me to bulldoze my way through each day, even when some days seem tough. I see you posted a few days ago and that you intend to enjoy your time together, that sounds to me like ‘you’ve got this’. Lots of warm wishes to you and your lovely mum xx