Headache as a side effect of ipilimumab and nivolumab

• 4 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hi there I'm asking this for my husband. He's having headaches possibly as a side effect of ipilimumab and nivolumab He's had 2 rounds of treatment for stage 4 melanoma . Anyone else experience headaches with this ? He's had blood tests to monitor him today. They've booked a CT scan for him for Monday as a precaution.  Just wondered if headaches are common? 

• Hi,

I can't recall having headaches, however has your husband been drinking enough?

It's easy to reduce your water intake when surrounded by the stress of the immunotherapy treatment, etc.

Good luck for the scan results.

• Hi JoyceB,

I experienced headaches after my first dose of Ipil and Nivo and just took paracetamol.

it lasted quite a few days and then subsided. After my 2nd dose they came back but then I became very sick. Stopped eating, constant vomiting and bedridden for 4 days. After a blood test they found I had immunotherapy induced Hepatitis and an under active thyroid. Stopped treatment and went on 11 weeks of steroids. Headaches came and went. I’d never experienced headaches like it thou as pain was at the top/rear of the head.

i hope they find a cure and the headaches subside for him. 

• Hi 

I also stage 4 metastatic melanoma and yes I did have headaches.

brain mri was clear.. 

I stocked up on migraine medication from boots which helped.

hope it eases soo. For your husband. 

• Hi Joyce, my husband has got stage 4 melanoma. He was also put on keytrauda for a year and then put on nivimolab… immunotherapy. However,  my husband did not do well with treatment as it was not good for his intestines so he had to stop. He had severe colitis.  Currently he is on no treatment but they will operate him soon again for a new tumour. He did not receive any headaches but nausea instead.