28yr old, new mum and shock melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Im 28 years old and 4months post partum. During the last trimester of my pregnancy I noticed a hard lump in my groin- I wasnt too worried and just thought it was one of the weird and wonderful pregnancy symptoms and it would disappear after birth. I attended my GP for a routine 8week postpartum checkup and mentioned the lump. GP advised it was a likely cyst and I was referred for US. US radiologist again advised likely cyst but unsure where it was coming from. I was then referred to the rapid diagnostic clinic, nurses seemed a little confused why I had been referred to them as the lump appeared to be a cyst but they referred me for a CT anyway. Following CT the nurses called to say they wasnt sure what the mass was and i was referred for groin lymph node biopsy. I attended this yesterday and the Dr could see straight away this is melanoma. Im in complete shock and worried what the next steps maybe, and how to cope with all this and a new baby. Any advice on your experience would be hugely appreciated 

• I can’t offer much advice but I’m in a similar situation. 
    mum 41 with an 18 month old and found lump in my breast. I was seen, had a mammogram and biopsy, Nicky dismissed saying it looks like a cyst and I’m at that point in my life. Biopsy showed melanoma cells. Had a CT scan and they found it in my neck too. Would have travelled through there to get to my breast. 
    I’ve started immunotherapy this week, on the strongest dose they can give me, with the hope that in young and strong enough to fight this. 
    its truly terrifying. But the babies are a blessing. 
    use them as a distraction, but don’t bottle up your feelings either. Even the dark feelings need a bit of air time. 
    this week however I’ve given myself a talking to as the only thing I know I can influence is my mind set. I have to be here, in every moment, doing the best I can. 
    I’m new to this forum but if you want to private message I’m happy with that. It’s so totally overwhelming xxx 

• Sorry to hear about your situation. It's tough, especially with a new baby. I recommend connecting with online communities or local support groups. My cousin found it helpful during a similar time. Lean on friends and family for support too.

• Get some help from friends and family