Groin dissection and immunotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hello,

I am new here and would appreciate any advice from those that have been through similar. 

I was first diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma in 2017. I only had a SLND left groin and watch and wait for 5 years then I was discharged. Then this summer I felt a lump in the left groin again and referred my self back into the system. Fast forward 3 months and I’ve now had a full lymph node clearance of the left groin. Pathology results have confirmed that melanoma was only in 1 out of 5 lymph nodes removed. 

My groin wound became infected at 2 weeks post op and it has still not healed. I’ve been told this can take months to heal properly. For someone who has 3 young boys (2,4,6) and normally an avid trail runner it’s incredibly hard to ‘rest’ as I have been told to do. 
I am now also eligible for immunotherapy. I’ve been told I will be started on Pembrolizumab for 1 year unless I have a nasty reaction to it. I am terrified of the potential side effects associated with this drug. Any words of advice or reassurance from those who have also had this treatment I would really appreciate it. Also any advice on how to cope with this emotionally would be appreciated. 

thank you

• Hi Teaandtrails,

I'm very sorry to hear about your ongoing fight with melanoma and the difficulties with the slowness of your healing from the associated surgery. I can only imagine how tough it must be to address this while raising toddlers and young ones (especially boys!).

I can only relate to you my experience with immunotherapy. I was diagnosed Stg 3 in late 2019. My journey is in my profile. I was given the one-year course of Pembrolizumab immunotheray treatments and had very few side effects. The normal itchy skin and some autoimmune induced colitis were my main complaints. Manageable but not debilitating. Others have not been so fortunate, I understand. During my treatment I chose a healthy Mediterranean diet and exercised my body as much as possible (at the gym and walking) to make it strong and I made an extra effort to stay positive and strong in my faith. I think that these 3 things helped me emotionally as well as physically and aided my body in working against the disease. I didn't think that I could have faith in the medical process unless I did all I could on my end, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm now three years removed from treatment. Cancer free as per my oncologist. with annual scans. It sounds as though you are on the ball and already on a good health track as an avid trail runner, but I'm thirty pounds lighter and my blood pressure is normal due the lifestyle changes.

I'm wishing you the best!

• Thank you Dave for your reply. For me the hardest part is looking after the kids and worrying about being hit with some of the nasty side effects and not being there to help in the same way. I’ll take each day as it comes though. 
    That’s great to read you didn’t have too many side effects with the drug and managed to continue a fairly normal routine and your scans are clear. May they continue to be clear for you and keep up the healthy living. 

Rosie