Waiting investigation

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi, nice to meet you all. I’m just hoping for a little advice, my 16 yr old daughter as lots of moles and recently I noticed one mole on her arm that didn’t look quite right. I sent some pictures to the doctor and the doctor asked us to come to the surgery. We are in Leeds and are lucky enough to be part of the teledermatology. The doctor took three images and sent an urgent referral to the dermatologist. We have now had a phone call to attend an appointment with the dermatologist on Wednesday. I am really worried by this, as my understanding is these pictures taken by the dermoscope give certain indications. What should we expect at this appointment? Does this mean we should prepare for bad news? Or could this still be something minor? Worried mum! Thanks in advance for any advice given x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

You will probably find that when your daughter visits the dermatologist next week she will have the mole examined by an instrument called a dermatoscope. It's effectively a magnifying glass which enables the dermatologist to examine her mole in greater detail.

Some consultants will automatically check the rest of the body for any other suspicious lesions but, if hers doesn't, she can take the opportunity to point out any other moles she's concerned about. 

What happens next will depend on what the consultant thinks about her mole. They may decide to make her an appointment to have the mole removed and sent off for biopsy, they may ask her to come back in a few months to see if it has changed, they may arrange for her to come back every so often to have photos taken or, best of all, they may say it's nothing to worry about and send her on her way.

Do come back after the appointment to let us all know how your daughter got on.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou I hope the latter is the end resultFingers crossed her Go used a dermoscope already and sent the images to the dermatologist. I’m guessing the dermatologist as a better dermoscope? I have since spoke to her doctor and she believes her moles is one two things which is an atypical mole or melanoma. She said that they’re difficult to distinguish between them. She does have another suspicious mole on her back, which makes me think maybe these are atypical moles And hopefully we can be sent on our way! Thankyou for responding to my message and of course il let you know how we get on x