Subungual melanoma and toenail biopsy

• 23 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi, just on the 2ww  for the above, saw GP on Thursday, got the dermatologist appointment today for a weeks time. Can anyone say what they will do? can I drive home after? I gather this is quite rare, which explains why I can't find much info about it!

Have a good weekend everyone 

Edited to add toenail biopsy in the title to make it easier to find

• Hi Gemmary and I'm sorry to see you're over in our melanoma forum after dealing with your bowel cancer. Have you had a biopsy yet and got a definite result or are the docs just being a bit negative?  

If you're on the two week pathway to see a dermatologist then it's doubtful they would do anything invasive I would think on the first meeting.  Generally they will examine you thoroughly and book you in for any other scans and/or tests.  Have you tried putting "toenail/fingernail cancer" into the search button as people often don't use very medical words. 

Lucy x

• I wouldn't say the gp is negative, rather she is on the ball! I'd rather it be nothing or caught early! No biopsy yet, which is why I wondered if they would take one on Saturday, which will presumably mean I might not be able to drive home, which is why I asked. Not sure if they remove the toenail to do the biopsy. Total lack of info out there. 

• If I'm allowed, I'd like to post this seminar from Melanoma UK. It is about the only thing I've found, and it is very interesting . Useful for the future people to see perhaps.

www.melanomauk.org.uk/acral-and-subungual-melanoma

• Hi  

As no one with subungual melanoma has come forward yet to share their experiences with you, I've searched the group and found these posts for you to have a look through.

I'm also 'tagging'  into my reply to you as they posted about having a subungual melanoma in their big toe recently. Hopefully, they'll pop on and tell you what happened at their first appointment with the dermatologist.

Although my melanoma was the more 'normal' skin one, at my first appointment with the dermatologist he examined my lesion and then arranged an appointment for me to have it removed at a later date.

To be on the safe side, you could give the dermatology department a call to check what to expect at this appointment so if there is any chance of a biopsy being done you will have had the chance to arrange transport.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks,  , I had already gone through them but didn't find any info. Still never mind. Not long to wait, hopefully its nothing.

• Rang the only number I've got, the 2ww phone appointment line. Very helpful. Sounds like that, as a biopsy will get complicated (almost a mini operation) they will likely bring me back in, if its needed. 

• Update. The first appointment was inconclusive whether it is cancer, so now have another for July, when they will do a nail biopsy there and then if needed. 

• That must have been disappointing, to say the least, to still not know if you're looking at a cancer diagnosis or not.

(((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Sorry Gemmary, i didn't mean your GP was not good, I meant she/he thought it might be malignant(as in a bad outcome) but I've written it in a cackhanded way. X

• That's what I had too Gemmary, first appointment was to have my mole looked at by the doctor then by the consultant and then I was sent home with a promise of a mole removal date asap. Went in on a Sunday to have it removed under local and sent off to be analysed to start the staging process. Frustrating when you have to wait that's for sure.  Fingers crossed for it to be non- malignant.  Take care x