Mole being re-tested after already been diagnosed with Melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi I had a mole removed on my leg just over 7 weeks ago and had the results around 3 weeks after that (diagnosed with melanoma). I was then told that they needed to go back in to remove more around the area which I had been given a date for next week. I had a phone call yesterday saying that my mole was getting retested as now they aren’t sure that it actually is melanoma or that I even need another surgery to remove more skin. 

I’ve been so upset about this as I had just got my head around the fact that I had skin cancer and now had a phone call to say that I might not even have cancer. I’m just wondering if anyone has went through this before? My family are so angry with the hospital, they’ve been horrendous from start to finish and now I feel like ive taken a massive step backwards as the hospital have said my surgery date has been cancelled and if I need surgery then I’ll need to wait longer. 

I’m not sure if this is normal, surely I can’t be told that I had cancer then weeks later they aren’t actually sure? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the community

I haven't had this happen to me but I have heard of people whose results have been delayed because the mole has had to be sent off for a second biopsy. This is because sometimes it's very difficult to be sure if the mole is a melanoma or not. If there's any doubt it will be treated as cancer just in case.

I can understand why you'd find this very upsetting but hopefully they'll be good news in the end if it does turn out that the mole is not cancerous.

Has the hospital given you any idea how quickly you'll hear the results from this second biopsy?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for replying back to me! They have said that the results can take about 3 weeks to come back so it’s just a waiting game for now.

• I know that sounds like a long time to wait right now but you have us all supporting you.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"