Hello

• 9 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi, I have just been told I have skin cancer and feel totally shell shocked as I didn't expect to be told that. I'm 60 and have a mole on my stomach which I've had  as far back as I can remember, it hadn't changed shape size or anything else. The only reason I went to get it checked was because we went to Lanzarote before Christmas and I was talking to someone out there who was saying they get their moles checked every year and I should do so. So I went along expecting to be told it was nothing and instead was told I had skin cancer. I saw dermatologist yesterday and have an appointment to have it removed on the 28th. All I've been told I've got to have it removed and it could be serious but no one has sat down and explained anything else to me or asked if I have any other symptoms or what to look out for, so feeling very shell shocked. I'm not sure what I am asking or even want but I know it has helped just writing it all down. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can remember that shocked feeling when I was told that an odd lesion I had was, in fact, melanoma. However, I'm surprised you've been told that you have melanoma when you haven't had the mole removed and biopsied yet. Even the most experienced dermatologists can be caught out by how something looks and most won't tell you one way or another until the biopsy results are back.

In the normal course of events you have the mole removed and biopsied. Then after about 4-6 weeks the consultant will have the results back and will tell you whether you have melanoma or if it was just an ordinary mole. If you have melanoma you will then have a wide local excision (WLE) and an optional sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). The WLE is similar to the original excision biopsy but takes a further margin of skin all around the original site to make sure no stray cells have been left behind.

Again there's a few weeks wait to find out the results of this, along with the SLNB if you have one.

However, my best recommendation would be to not think too far ahead. There's still a possibility that your mole is simply a mole.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and you can take a look at my profile, by clicking on my picture or username, if you want to see my timeline with melanoma.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi 

Thanks for your reply. I think from what you have said is the reason I'm feeling shell shocked. My GP basically told me I had skin cancer and referred me to the dermatologist. The dermatologist took one look and said it needed removing and booked an appointment.. At no point was I told that it may not actually be cancerous even when I said I had had the mole for 50+ years and it hadn't changed. In fact the impression I got from the consultant was because I had had the mole for so long it could be serious. 

• Hello Redlis, wow , to be that certain is unusual. It's more usual to be told oh no that's nothing to be worried about even though it's getting bigger/ changing shape/ changing colour!  No wonder you're shocked.  You haven't got melanoma right now, they cannot say for sure until they remove it which is what they will do first.  Asap of course.  

Don't panic hon, if it hasn't changed in all the time you've had it and you've had it for over 50 years I can't see how they can be sure. However it will only hurt a little to have it removed and if it's benign then ok you've had it removed before it ' might' become cancerous.  Don't look on Google for info on what melanoma looks like as they vary tremendously from the prescribed pictures we are given and Google is there to worry you!  Take deep breaths and don't panic at all.  Keep remembering you haven't got melanoma until they tell you the results of the mole. Take care and crossed fingers and toes for a good outcome. Xx

• Thanks for your reply. I'm trying not to panic which is easier said than done. I have looked at Dr Google, and I agree it it hasn't done me any good at all, so that's why I decided to join this forum and actually talk to people in the same  situation as me.

The hardest part is I seem to have a constant loop going round and round in my mind saying

I may not have melanoma  because its not been confirmed however, why would the doctor and consultant tell me  I had if they weren't sure. Also if its as serious as they are implying I would have other symptoms which I don't have so it can't be serious and I may not even have it....

• Redlis they really can't say for definite that it's melanoma until the biopsy hon.  It's natural that you are frantic with worry, I would be too.  So if it is cancer then it could be one of many different types of melanoma. 

So here is what they do--Docs look at the depth it has grown into the skin then dependant on the depth they may look at taking some local ( local to the mole) lymph nodes to test for any melanoma cells. This is called a SNLB, which means sentinel node lymph biopsy. Sentinel just means the first node the mole will have drained into.  If they find any then the patient will be offered treatment.  So that's the usual plan of action Redlis.

Firstly they will remove the mole to test and then depending on the results and it could be negative, they will do the other tests. Those will include full body and brain scans to check for any lumps and bumps.  

I would say also that people don't always  necessarily have any symptoms even if it has spread from what I've learned in here. 

I've tried to be honest and explain what may happen but if you can try and keep busy and keep your mind from dwelling on it all the better.  I repeat- you haven't yet been diagnosed and there have been lots on here who have been sure they had it who have overjoyed to find it a false alarm!   

Keep the hope going hon. Have you a date for the mole removal yet? Xx 

• Hi  allotmentlover

I am slowly getting my head round the fact that I may have not definitely have melanoma. I think the hardest thing for me was it came out of the blue. I never expected the doctor to tell me my mole was cancerous, therefore I wasn't at all prepared to hear it. I'm having it removed on the 28th Feb so just over 2 weeks to go. 

• Just to add to what Alottment lover has said  , you will find quite a few posts in the group from people whose dermatologist said it was definitely melanoma who, thankfully, came back to say that when the mole was biopsied it wasn't Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi I would just like to say a big thanks for taking time to read my post and reply to me. I felt like I had an extreme case of pre exam nerves, for an exam I knew nothing about and had no idea where to find help or advice. Your calm reassurance and explaining what to expect has helped me put things into a better perspective and helped me feel that I can finally breath and has stopped me from panicking quite so much. 

• I was diagnosed in August. The GP referred me straight to the hospital and she took one look with the dermascope and told me it was melanoma. She then asked if I had children and how old they were. Obviously, immediate panic set it. I had the mole removed, then a wider local excision in November. I had the sentinel lympnode biopsy and now have the all CLEAR. Mine was stage 2. Whilst it’s an awful process and very worrying, think positively. It’s been found and will be dealt with. Best of luck xx