Malignant melanoma

• 1 reply
  • 75 subscribers

Hello my. Husband  is going in for second procedure   This week  and should then be over alert from checks up.  He’s not sure how to feel after it how do people feel  how do I support him  we are struggling just now same as lots of people  drs says he needs another 6 weeks off work  not been in work since mid December 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your husband has been diagnosed with melanoma, but hopefully once he's had his wide local excision (WLE) next week that will be the end of his treatment.

I don't think we can tell him "how to feel after it" as everyone is different and there's no right or wrong way to feel. It might help you both to look at this information from Macmillan about cancer and your emotions.

Personally I found that spending my time doing things that I enjoyed, ie indulging in my hobbies, meeting up with friends, etc helped me to cope. Lots of people find mindfulness really helpful and, if this is something that you think he might be interested in, then clicking on the link I've created will give you more information.

Currently Macmillan are offering up to 6 free counselling sessions with Bupa for people who are struggling emotionally because they are living with cancer. Again, if he is interested in this clicking on the link will give you more information.

You might also find it helpful to join the carers only group as this will give you the opportunity to talk to others who are supporting someone living with cancer. If this is something that you'd like to do, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there where you can then join and start a new post in the same way as you did here. You can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Let us know how he get's on next week

(((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"