Newly diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello and thanks for accepting me to the forum. Following a mole removal from the back of my neck I’ve had the shock of being told it’s a1.6mm melanoma. 
To say I’m in total shock is an understatement as I’m sure everyone else must feel.I’m having a WLE and a SNLB next week.

Any advice about the SNLB would be gratefully received. The person who rang from the scan department was not at all helpful or reassuring. 
Thank you

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can well remember those feelings of shock even though it's nearly 6 years ago that I was diagnosed with melanoma. 

What would you like to know about the SLNB?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello and many thanks for the welcome. I was told I had a melanoma and am having the SLNB on Wednesday. I have taken myself into a state of anxiety since getting the results . The site is on the back of my neck so I imagine that I will be injected there. Have you any idea how long the procedure may take and how painful it is ? I have a fear of needles so this will be a challenge for me. Thank you for any info .

• Had a SLNB and WLE on my upper arm 5 days ago, a few hours before surgery you will go to nuclear medicine for an injection and scan to mark where the lymph node is, this can take between 30 mins to an hour depending on how quick it moves through your system, mine was under the armpit and all scanned in 20 mins . It was all very straight forward, I went down for surgery just before 3pm and was back on the ward by 4.30 having a cuppa and some toast !!! Not had any pain or issues with the lymph node site just a bit tender, WLE feels really tight and uncomfortable but I had enough skin to close the area rather than a graft, painkillers take the edge off it. I had what I would say looked like sunburn from under my breast  up to my neck and on my arm in the side of the op, this is normal and is due to the nuclear injection. My only advice would be to make sure you have a dressing gown and slippers as they walk you down to nuclear medicine. Also because of this you will be there early in the morning I arrived at 8am so makes it a very long day so take a book or something to keep you occupied so you’re not thinking about it. Anything else you might need to know I’m happy to answer. Hope this makes sense as had insomnia since the anaesthetic which is normal for some people apparently !!  Good luck with your op x

• Posted bellow but seen you have replied since, I had 4 injections in the site of the original biopsy, just a slight scratch like with any injection, I had anxiety really bad it’s a totally normal reaction, was more relaxed on the day of the op than leading up to it and the nurses were lovely and really put you at Ease as they explain everything they are doing x

• You are right that you will be injected as close to the site where the melanoma was removed from . However, the injection takes no longer than those you had when the area was numbed ahead of removing the melanoma.

Depending on the hospital you will then either have to wait while they scan you to see where the radioactive dye has gone or you'll be able to go and the surgeon doing the SLNB will trace the sentinel lymph node with a hand held device when he/she's ready to perform the surgery.

Are you having the injection on the same day as your surgery? Mine was the day before. I think I was at the nuclear medicine department for an hour or so but most of that time was spent lying/sitting down while I was scanned. It was all very calming with music playing in the background.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you both so very much. You’ve made me feel calmer already !!! I go in at 1000am and operation same day. I have a bad habit of over thinking these things. Great advice from you both . Can’t thank you enough xx

• No problem, sometimes it just helps to hear from people who are or have gone through the same, if your overthinking like I did be prepared that you may be mentally exhausted after for a few days all normal and just your body’s natural reaction to stress. Good luck x