Newbie!

• 12 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi. 
newbie here, received diagnosis of melanoma stage 2 a week ago. From initial dermo appointment, mole removal and diagnosis it’s been 4 weeks so guess I’m lucky in that retrospect. However I’ve been going backwards and forward to my GP for well over a year and was told constantly it was nothing - feeling very angry with that!

I have my appointment next week with the plastics dr to discuss the SLNB and the WLE but my head is all over the place whilst trying to be as normal as possible for my 3 children. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I had the same diagnosis as you 6 years ago and can well remember the feelings you describe; you can click on my profile to read about my 'journey' if you want to.

Just like you're being offered, I had a WLE and SLNB and I'm happy to share my experiences of these procedures with you if there's anything you want to know.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi 

thank you for your warm welcome! I’m struggling daily to process things, it hits me more as I get into bed and my head goes into overdrive!
    what was your recovery like after the WLE and SLNB? 

• I feel we are similar! How are you doing during your wait! Hopefully not to much longer now? I have my plastics appointment dec 5th and will probably have to wait u til after Xmas for the surgery, also stage 2 removed 4 weeks ago with clear margins. Terrifying! My babies are helping me too but it’s so emotional. 

please let us know how you get on xxxx 

• Hi 

I finally had my WLE and SLNB on the 18th nov, after having it cancelled once. Now at home recovering, which I have found difficult because of where they were. WLE on the back of my thigh just above me knee and then groin for SLNB so struggling with walking. Just waiting for the biopsy results now which could come in time for xmas!!! 

I did mention my worry of the wait and spreading but was told if it has spread then the treatment for melanoma now is fantastic and I shouldn’t worry but it’s just one of those things that I believe everyone would worry about!

it is so hard with the kids, they still don’t know why I have had to have surgery. If I need further treatment then they will be told. 

I hope your appointment on the 5th goes well and you don’t have to wait for long for everything else!! Let me know how you get on!! 

xx

• That is reassuring for them to say that, but still nobody wants to hear it’s anywhere else! Do you go back to plastics for the results appointment or your dermatologist? Hopefully just another week and you will know Fingers crossed tone2

Did they tell you the chances of it being on the lymph with stage 2 melanoma already being removed ? 

xx

• I was just diagnosed yesterday, melanoma removed 4 weeks ago. Just waiting for appt now as I need a WLE and SLNB. Like you my heads all over the place, i wish you well, keep in touch x

• Oh really, it’s awful isn’t it. Was it all removed? We will be on the same time line really. Have you had your plastics appointment through yet? X 

• They didn't say if it was all removed but I've got a contact email for questions so I'm going to ask that. I haven't had the plastics appt yet, worried about the mail strike also hospital over an hour away. I've had a tough day today, too much time, so my mind is working overtime

• Oh, so what did they actually tell you? Last few days have been very stressful here too but I must say today I feel slightly lighter I think time will help us deal with this xxx 

• They just said I had been diagnosed with stage 2 malignant melanoma, that I'd need further surgery to remove more skin around the melanoma and that they'd also check my lymph nodes.  The consultant at plastics would be in touch and that they would chase if I hadn't heard in 4 weeks. I'm going to ask for the report