Help with choosing a treatment

• 6 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello all 

I’m 41 and was diagnosed with melonoma in situ nearly 4 years ago while pregnant with my daughter. I had the lump removed from my right shoulder and was given the all clear but 12weeks ago I huge luCry reappeared back on my right shoulder after a biopsy it’s confirmed the melonoma is back and at stage 3 c CryI’ve have the lump removed and it’s they have said they removed all the cancer but have given me 2 options for treatment to target anything they can’t see and to help with reoccurrence. 
would anyone be able to give me some feedback on both types of treatment please as it’s so difficult to decide what path to choose. 
Thank you in advanced x

Treatments are- Dabrafenib and trametinb a tablet form 

Pembrolizumb immunotherapy drip every 6weeks for a year.

• I was only offered dab/tram but I'll post.

My experience was fairly uneventful thankfully. A bit of a fever in the first few weeks and then just a little acne/rash off and on for the 12 months.

Take them both in the morning on an empty stomach and then just the dabrafenib 12 hours later. As you have to have them on an empty stomach you do have to do a little planning around eating, leaving a 1 hour window before taking them or waiting 2 hours after you've eaten.

Blood test and visit to Oncology monthly to get an update on how you're fairing and they renew the prescription for the next month of pills.

Hopefully someone will drop by with their experience with Pembrolizumb.

• Hi may sorry to hear about your reoccurance my husband is something similar but was just offered pembrolizumb immunotherapy every 6 weeks today 

• Thank you fir getting back to me I start the tablets tomorrow so hopefully Pray the road won’t be to bumpy for me. Take care hope all is well.

• Thank you for replying lots of people seem to have only been offered the immunotherapy one,Sorry to hear about your husband hope his treatment goes well x

• Hi! Thought I’d reply as I was only offered the pembro route so took that. I go to hospital every 6 weeks to receive it. The infusion takes 30 mins + 10 mins to flush it through with a saline solution. The whole appointment though can take a few hours depending on how long the wait is to get called through, and then they need to cannulate you, which can take a few attempts if your veins are anything like mine and like to run away at the sight of needle! The nurses then need to run their checks to make sure you’re getting the right meds so two of them need to look at the bag of pembro and check your name etc. So if it’s busy there can be a fair amount of waiting about (bring a good book). You’ll likely get the infusion in an open area with others sat about getting their chemo/immunotherapy too. It’s generally well tolerated, with some different side effects for different people - some have no side effects. I think common side effects can be a rash which I’ve not had. I tend to get a little nausea (but not so bad I feel I need to medicate it), for a day or so, and then about a week or so after I come down with a cough/cold and I get sore throat on/off and some fatigue. I’ve been told my side effects (flu-like syndrome) are quite rare but not unheard of (more in children!). I’ve also had the occasional zit in unusual places on my body (eg torso, groin), especially at the start of treatment, but I’ve not had them for a while now. I have a check-up with my consultant a few days before each dose (every 6 weeks) which we’ve been doing by phone for a few months now, and then I also have to go to hospital 48 hours before my pembro to get my bloods taken. 
    I hope this helps you decide. Slight smile

• Hello thank you for your reply sounds like the Pembro is going well for you. After speaking to my consultant I have gone with tablets as I have the braf mutation so they say it works better with it. 
    Take care of yourself x