Atypical lump and lost referral led to later diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 64 subscribers

Recently diagnosed but after going to GP several times over 2 years.  Lump on back of heel now a 8 mms deep melonoma.  Didn't look like any of the pictures of risky moles - no colour and not like a mole.  First referral lost, second was not progressed and left with impression nothing to worry about.  No biopsy.    Covid led to delays. Still grew and asked again. Suddenly serious and waiting for wide excision  and sentinel lymph biopsy.  Taking some comfort from clear MRI and CT but nerve wracking all the same!  

concerned how to spread the word about this atypical presentation so that others are not missed? 

• Hello Albobs, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but welcome to this forum.  I too had an atypical mole which was ignored for a year.  I tell all I meet about not just going by the pictures of suspect moles but to trust their own instincts re extra rapid growth or subtle colour changes and insist on a dermatology referrel.  I too would like to tell the world about the atypical lumps/moles.

Glad to hear your CT and MRI were clear. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy so your disease can be graded and treatment started if necessary.  Keep us posted hon x

• I have done a report to PALS (NHS Patient Advice and Liaison Service) at Torbay Hospital with details of missed opportunities for earlier diagnosis.  They responded the same day and I hope it will lead to improvements tin the general administration. The cost of a biopsy 2 years ago would have been small as compared to all the costs that will now arise. It made me feel better for a while as it is the only thing I can control.  Chasing for a date but could be a while.  The uncertainty does not help.   

• Hi Albobs,  I agree with you. The waiting for surgery is anxiety making and is a common complaint on here. I waited from March to July for my WLE and SLNB as they'd found two brain aneurysms and I had to have a neuro consult first.  It still makes me cross that maybe if I'd had surgery earlier then it might not have spread to my lymph glands. And of course if my local health centre had taken me seriously it might have been an earlier stage melanoma.  After a year of immunotherapy I remain well and NED (no evidence of disease).  So I plod on. Only one more dose of Pembro to go.

I also tell people if the opportunity arises that it's a myth that you have to burn your skin first before you get a melanoma!  The bigger question is -- how do we inform GPs, advanced nurse practitioners etc about believing the patient and about the atypical leisions??  I'll certainly join you in that quest so others may benefit.  Take care and hope you get your date soon. Xx