Newly diagnosed nodular melanoma - SLNB advise please?

• 5 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi to all,

I’ve been scrolling through the brilliant amount of info & support on here, and tonight felt right to reach out and say hello. 

my diagnosis is not yet 2 weeks old and so much has happened in moving this on, and that is fantastic and I am hugely grateful for the speed here. But gosh, this is the worst rollercoaster ever!!! My diagnosis is invasive nodular melanoma. Breslow 3.95mm with mitotic count of 1/mm squared,

I’ve just had 3 really good, positive days, calm and processing it. Mainly because I have no appointments this week so I could just breathe a bit!! Then I had calls from the team yesterday to book my surgery, and today is a feeling heavy day!! But that is fine, and it will pass. 

I know there is lots of experience here, and I wondered about SLNB and how to help my system be in the best shape leading up to the operation and to help keep swelling at a minimum. I’ve upped my potassium intake - beetroot, dried apricots, etc - and I love yoga so have been doing lots of belly breaths, bridge pose, legs up wall and ankle rotations. I’m sure my fear is focusing itself on the possibility of lymphedema from the op to stop me spiraling into the actual cancer diagnosis!! I’m also a plus size 20 woman of 5 decades in a high stress role. 

any tips to prep and recover from the op would be great! Also, any tips to keep calm in the scanner after the radioactive injection? I have never been in a scanner before either! 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma but you're right that there's a lot of experience and support in this group.

I had a SLNB 5 years ago and didn't do anything differently in the lead up to my operation. I tried to eat a balanced diet and I did a moderate amount of exercise, eg going for an hours walk each day.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do in advance to try and prevent lymphoedema. Your SCNS should be able to advise you of anything you need to do to try and prevent it after the operation. I was advised to start exercising again as soon as I felt able to and, with my SLNB being in my armpit, I was able to get out walking again very quickly.

When I had my lymphoscintigraphy I wasn't inside a scanner. The radioactive dye was injected close to the original melanoma site and then I lay on a couch while a small scanner was placed above the top half of my body. There was no feeling of being enclosed. However, different hospitals may do things differently but that was my experience.

I hope it all goes well for you

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi there 

just thought I’d say good luck and best wishes. I was in a very similar situation earlier this year. Nodular MM and had a WLE and SNLB. 
    I was also worried about the radioactive scanner. I hadn’t realised it was so enclosed! I lay with my eyes closed the whole time and practised steady breathing - your yoga will help you with that - and kept thinking of my favourite holiday lying on a beach listening to waves. It was good to be over and they said they found what they needed so all worth it. 
    The op went well. I was in pain for a few days but codeine helped a lot and helped me sleep! But I only needed paracetamol after that and it healed so well. The scars are looking so much better than I had imagined now as well four months on. My results took 6 weeks to come and that is difficult to deal with but I was determined not to waste time worrying (obvs can’t be helped at times!) and it proved to be worthwhile because I was all clear. Sending you all the luck for your op. Take care x 

• Hello Vintage76, I just wanted to drop you a note to reassure you. I have only just had (July26th) a WLE and SNLB and it was ok. A long day. They had me arrive at the hospital at 9.00 am and nothing much happened other than completing paperwork until 11.30 when I went to the nuclear medicine department. I was with them for about 2 1\2 hours. I was able to wear my ordinary clothes, no surgical gown with by bum hanging out! . I did have to take my bra off as it was under wired. So one tip I could give you is not to wear a wired bra or any clothes with metal in them. The first lot of scanning took place in quite short bursts about 15 minutes and I did not feel enclosed it was just a flat square plate above me open at both sides. I then got sent to walk about for a bit approximately 15 minutes and then another couple of short scans. The last scan was the longest approximately 30 minutes when the square plate revolved round me and then the bed moved in and out of the scanning tube but the tube bit only took 5 or 10 minutes. 

It was back up to the surgical ward, into a gown and sexy socks and then into the theatre. They have taken more from my upper arm and three nodes from in my arm pit. I am a little sore but nothing that a couple of paracetamols can’t fix. I am surprised how much movement I have. I did feel a bit groggy the second day but now I feel like I will be back to normal very soon.

Your process could be different but I hope that this helps you to have some idea what to expect and if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

I hope it goes as smoothly for you.

• Thanks Stars09’ pleased to read you got the all clear, wonderful news! X

• Thanks, Claire129, that has helped. I expected it to be a long day and am very much practicing yoga breaths!! My cancer nurse called me today and talked me through the op again, as she knew I had only had the cancer diagnosis 4 days when I saw the cancer team for op discussion. They are seeing me 7 days after surgery to check progress of healing. She reassured me that issues are rare and that they are here if I am worried about anything post surgery. I’m only 40 mins away from the hospital as well. I do feel calm currently and just have to keep trusting I’m in very safe hands. Diagnosis is only 3 weeks tomorrow but feels like so much longer!! Keeping everything crossed for your results. X