Scalp Melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi Everyone

My hairdresser noticed a mole on my scalp had changed so I sent a photo to my GP who referred me. I was sent an appointment for a biopsy where they removed it and it sadly is melanoma. I am going into hospital tomorrow for a WLE and SLNB. I am feeling very anxious and apprehensive, not only about the outcome but how it will look (stupid I know) my family are very supportive butI thought it would be nice to hear from people who know what I’m going through, thanks 

• Hi,

First of all, well done to your hairdresser for spotting the lesion and advising you to get it checked.  Mine didn’t, and it was only after my wife cut my hair during lockdown that she noticed something which later proved to be melanoma, but by then it had spread.

I had my SLNB and WLE last year and I have to admit that before the ops I was the same as you - worried about how I’d look (pretty vain for a 63 year-old bloke) and how painful the actual ops would be.

On reflection, I needn’t have worried. I had less post-operative pain than I had with the original lesion removal. Yes, I had a foam protective pad on the WLE site for a few days after the op (which we nicknamed “The Pork Pie”) but it wasn’t on for long. A few slightly confused looks but ultimately who cares?

Personally, the site is on the top of my head towards the rear, and is not visible other than by a very tall person, but I have to say, my attitude is that it’s all part of the battle, and no one of importance (I.e. friends and family, etc.) will notice anything after the operation has healed anyway.

Here’s hoping the SLNB and WLE come back clear, but if they don’t, there are some fantastic treatments available now. I’m Stage 4, however the cancer that had spread to my liver and lungs has now disappeared following immunotherapy treatment.

All the best and good luck

• Thank you Blush I am trying not to worry and be positive but it’s difficult, hearing from you makes me a little less apprehensive about the pain as other than feeling really tight last time, it wasn’t so bad, it’s more the skin graft I’m worried about as it won’t have hair on it (but yes just vanity Rolling eyes)

I’m sorry your hairdresser never mentioned it , I do feel lucky mine did as I would never have thought to check my scalp. But great news about yours disappearing, I hope you are feeling well and didn’t suffer with side effects, thank you for making me feel more hopeful.

Everyone I spoke to seems to know someone who’s had it and they are fine but it helps to actually read about personal experiences 

• All the best for tomorrow  - hope it goes well.  Keep us all updated.