WLE has split open! Help and advice please.

• 2 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi guys, so I had a WLE 3 weeks ago, stitches removed yesterday at lunch time and then last night the whole area popped open. 

I went to Emergency department at my local hospital and they have referred me back to my surgeon in southmead, seeing them tomorrow. At current the wound which is on the back of my calf is open by roughly 7cm x 2 cm. With deep cavity.  I raised my concerns when we discussed the surgery that it may pop open as it did with the original mole site so we discussed a skin flap which they wrote in my notes to complete as part of the surgery however when I woke from the surgery I had linear stitches. 

Now it's popped open and it's very clear that the area is too tight I am thinking that ideally I need a skin graph as there is not enough skin to pull together. However I have a slightly charming(bordering arrogant) surgeon and think that I will be rushed through my appointment as I have been in the past and that I may not get listened too again.

Has anyone been through a similar experience? Any suggestions on what is the best treatment to fix what is now a gaping hole in my leg.

Xx

• When I had my mole removed, by my GP, the sticthes were removed after 2 weeks and that night the wound split open. It was about 5cm by 2cm and 1cm deep. My GP practice saw me a few hours later and they packed the wound and put on a dressing. I was told that restitching was not part of the protocol for this occurence. I had the wound repacked and  redressed every 2 or 3 days for about 3 weeks by which time it was virtually healed. Sods law being what it is I then had the call from my GP to say the biopsy showed a melanoma and that a WLE was required so the wound was compromised big time. Second time round the wound remained closed. Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Hi 

How did you get on when you saw the surgeon yesterday?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"