Recent treatment - awaiting biopsy result

• 1 reply
  • 73 subscribers

Hello folks. 75 years old, and just had a wide excision on stage 1A melanoma on right forearm, plus sentinel lymph node removal at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Hospital on 10 March. Excellent care. Pre-op ECG picked up Atrial Fibrillation, so now on anticoagulants pending cardio ultrasound in 3 weeks time, and the blood-thinning drug has left me with extensive sub-cutaneous bruising around the armpit. Pain is manageable with paracetamol, and at least I've been able to sleep. Wound check and dressing on 25 March, by which time I hope the biopsy results will be back. Grateful to have had such treatment in these strange times, and although there has been some delay due to the massive pressure on the NHS, it has been weeks rather than months. I suspect that my Melanoma is due to over-exposure to sun, as I spent my teenage years in Singapore, followed by time in Cyprus and the Gulf with the RAF. I then compounded the felony by buying a holiday home in the Algarve, where we spent the late Summer and Autumn for 9 years, so all self-inflicted I'm afraid. So grateful to my GP Practise Nurse, who notice a raised, pink spot on my arm when I was called in for a Shingles jab, and referred me to the Doctor, who in turn, got me checked out at Hospital. I thought it was eczema, and didn't want to "bother" anyone with it during Covid pressures.  Staying positive and grateful, and I'll deal with whatever is down the road as and when. Stay safe out there.   

• Hi

I'm glad to read about your positive experiences so far and I hope your results will come back when expected and be negative.

Do let us know

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"