Pain after WLE

• 7 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi all, new here.

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ just before Christmas and had my wide local excision on Thursday. I’ve been surprised how much pain I’ve been in having had multiple previous surgeries for BCC’s including plastics and a skin flap.

The mole was on my back near my shoulder and I’m still taking painkillers 5 days later (although not as many). Is this similar to others experience with WLE? It doesn’t look infected just swollen - how long for it to settle?

any advice gratefully received!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

My WLE was on my arm, so not a direct comparison, but I found that after a couple of days I could manage comfortably without painkillers. I can't remember how long it took for the swelling to go down, as it was 5 years ago now, but you should have been given a contact number at the hospital to call if you have any concerns.

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your response latchbrook. Needed painkillers again today so was seen by nurse who removed the steri strips and saw I had an infection. Started antibiotics so hopefully it will settle down over the next few days x

• I hope you are pain free soon :) 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi know how you're feeling.  I had my WLE on Monday, removed the dressing last night to find it was showing signs of infection.  Sent photos to the Doc this morning and they have confirmed it is infected.  Mine is also on my shoulder. 

• Sorry to hear that Bola1889. I finished my antibiotics yesterday and feeling much better but still sore and unable to get comfortable at night. When do you get your results? I’m going in on March 8th which feels such a long time away..

• Hi good you’re feeling better. I also finished my antibiotics today and feeling much better. Yes still unable to get totally comfortable at night but getting there. Having my stitches out on Monday and then have an appointment on 14th March  

• I actually couldn’t wait to get the stitches removed and it wasn’t as bad as I’d built it up in my head to be. I did take 2 paracetamol before hand though as still sore with the infection.

Feel like I can start healing properly now even though I know internally it’s a lot slower. Had 2 internal stitches make a bid for freedom on my last excision so will keep an eye out for that happening again.

Feels strange to know that someone else out there is going through the same thing at the same time but strangely comforting too. All the best for Monday. X