Melanoma

• 6 replies
  • 75 subscribers
  • Hi all,  just joined.
  • I was diagnosed with 1b melanoma on my leg in july, saw consultant last week and am waiting for a wide excision and sentinal node biopsy. Have been staying positive about it all and praying thst the mole in question was removed and had not spread. The need to carry on as normal is difficult due to lack of sleep, used to be great sleeper, need some tips! 
  • Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've been diagnosed with melanoma and that you're now struggling to sleep. This wasn't something that I had any trouble with but I was diagnosed in the middle of a house move so was so tired from packing boxes and organising things that I think that made me sleep! Macmillan has this useful information on difficulty sleeping with tips to help you get a better nights sleep.

Do let us know when you have your date for your WLE and SLNB and if you want to ask me any questions about the procedures I'll be happy to share my experience with you.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much, done

I'll read the sleeping page, Ok hand

• Hello. I hope you got some sleep last night. Not sure your age or gender as that makes a difference!  There are some interesting sleep apps available or plug yourself into an audio play or documentary? Tea, coffee and alcohol don't help but you probably know that.  I am in a similar place to you with a recent diagnosis and have been booked in for wide are thing and node biopsy next Friday! Getting a little anxious and not sure how I will feel physically after the op. Had a girls weekend planned that very day but will probably need to cancel.  Sleeping not a problem as I avoid internet at night and try to wear myself out in the day!  Best of luck.  I can let you know what the procedure is like after I've had it if you want?

• Hi Jerry, thanks for your message. I am male 50. Going to try a few things which should help. Already avoid Internet but think will also try something a bit more soothing than politics or sports radio before trying to sleep. I avoid caffeine after 3.30pm as a rule.

Good luck with your procedure, I would like to know your experience.

All the best and take care. 

Spencer 

• Hi Spencerj, 

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with melanoma. Seems like we have similar diagnosis.

It is so easy to wonder about worse case scenarios in a situation like this. I can suggest mint tea on top of all suggestions and there are some apps like white noise, sleeping help etc on YouTube if you haven't tried them before.

• Thanks Elmyra, 

I drink nettle but I'll have a go Ok handMuscle

Best wishes to you