Anyone had a WLE on cheek?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had a WLE on their cheek and can tell me how it went. I had a small lesion, that didn’t look like a bcc even, partially removed back in April, with an incisional biopsy. It was a great shock to find out that it was actually Stage 1a melanoma. I was recommended to have the whole lesion excised, to see if the staging would change, meaning that I would be eligible for the SLNB and this second surgery would also give the skin the time to stretch, so I might not need a skin graft with the WLE. This was instead of proceeding straight to the WLE.

Result of that biopsy was still Stage 1a, which I’m obviously very relieved about.  However, it means I will have the WLE done under local anaesthetic, like the other two surgeries. I am very squeamish and nearly fainted last time at the start of the surgery. I was recommended to take 2mg diazepam before the op, but it had no effect. As the date of the WLE gets nearer, I have asked my GP about how to avoid another panic attack, and I am to double the dose this time. People say to do yoga, meditation or yoga, but you can’t just suddenly put these things into action, if you’re not someone who practices regularly!

My scar from the last surgery is healing well, but now I will have a new, much bigger one. My GP said at the very start of this that the lesion couldn’t be in a worse (more obvious) place. I don’t think the skin has stretched much, so I may need a graft. If anyone’s been through similar, I’d love to hear how the surgery and healing went.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community. I have a different type of cancer and haven't had the same treatment procedures so I myself can't comment I'm sorry to say. I've flagged the Community Champion of this group so she'll be along soon to offer advice and support. I'm sure some other members of this group will be along soon to answer as well.

Sending you all the best Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi and a second welcome to the online community

I'm sorry I wasn't around to respond to you yesterday but I'm currently on holiday so not popping on the community as frequently as I normally do.

I have had a WLE when I was diagnosed with melanoma but mine was on my arm and done under a general anaesthetic as I was having a SLNB at the same time. Since the original excision biopsy I have had several more suspicious lesions removed, all under local anaesthetic. Like you, I'm a bit squeamish but have found that as I can't feel or see what the surgeon is doing I have coped okay.

I'm 'tagging' and into my reply to you as they have both had excisions on their cheek and hopefully they'll be able to pop on and tell you about their experiences.

When do you actually go for the WLE?

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook, thanks for the reply. You do a great job supporting people on here with their differing experiences. I hope you are keeping well yourself. It was kind of you to take time out of your holiday to send a message.

Yesterday, I had my WLE, and the surgery needed a skin flap from my upper cheek, which I was told is a better match for the skin texture and colour. Somehow, I got through it, with the help of an amazing medical team. Just before the dressing was applied, I was shown my face in a mirror. I had to brace myself. The scar lines seem to extend across and down my face - much longer than I expected. I have the worst black eye I’ve ever seen, but I know it’ll go in a few weeks - the scars are different.  I can’t imagine being able to go out for several months, without people staring, and, after that, wonder what I’ll be left with - this is a site that can’t be covered or hidden.  It would be great to hear from the other members of the group that you mention. x

• Hi again and thank you very much for your very kind words.

I can remember very well what it was like being told I had melanoma and, although that was nearly 5 years ago now, it's still a vivid memory. I've stayed a member here and become a Community Champion as I wanted to try and make the emotional effects of the diagnosis better for people by sharing my experience. If I've succeeded just a little that makes me very happy.

I'm glad to hear everything went well with the WLE and that you've got a supportive medical team. It really does make such a difference when you feel in capable hands. 

Over the past 5 years I've had quite a few excisions but mine have all been on my arm, chest or back so the scars are easier to cover up. I must admit that I'm now quite blase about my scars and don't wear clothes to cover them, unless I'm protecting myself from the sun.

I can imagine though that having a scar on your face is a much more difficult thing to deal with. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the charity Changing Faces to you as they have a skin camouflage service which aims to reduce the appearance of scars, etc. If you'd like more information just click on the link I've created.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"