Suspicious Lesion on back

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 72 subscribers

I am new here and I am worried sick, I can't sleep or eat, my heart feels like it's going to explode and I feel sick. I saw my GP yesterday because I became aware of a changing mole on my back, it has always worried me as it was bigger than all tbe others but now it feels rough and has a raised patch which is a different colour and I have no idea how long it has been like that. I can't get melanoma and that I'm going to die out my head as I can't see any other end result for this. My doctor phoned the hospital while I was in the room to make an apt to have pictures taken so this so quickly makes me think she knows it's serious even though she never said a word, I wish I had asked her outright what she thought I now have to wait until Tuesday for this then who knows, I haven'ttold anyone about this as can't bring myself to say it so am trying to plod on and be normal but it's so hard...thanks even for allowing me to write this and get it off my chest, anybody been in a similar situation?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

First of all your thoughts are totally normal and allowed. This bit is the worse as there is so much unknown. I’ve just gone through the same with a changed mole in my back. 

You will find they treat you as if it is cancer but at this stage nobody knows you cannot tell at all by looking at it. Most are not cancer but this probably won’t help you right now it didn’t help me. They move fast ‘just incase’ The next thing dermatology will have a look at it they will also look at your whole body for moles etc very closely. If they feel it needs to come out they will make an appointment for the biopsy. And will take a border out around the mole.  Then you wait approx  2 weeks (ask them how long the wait is in your area as it can be different) . Once the biopsy is done you should feel a bit better as it’s out. The results may be negative. Mine was positive but with a clear border so I’ve just had a bigger border out and a lymph node. You don’t need to worry about that yet tho. 

Try and take it day by day and if you can tell someone do, it’s amazing how many people there are who have had suspect moles removed! 

Big big hugs  xxx

Happy for you to message me and ask questions xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much for your reply, it helped a lot. I have so many questions I would appreciate being answered but I have no idea how to send a message x

• FormerMember

Me either lol. How about we just keep chatting here xxxx

• FormerMember
    1. Sounds good to me! Can I ask if you got the results of the dermoscopy appointme t while you were there, did they say anything or did you get the results by letter or phone? How long did the appointment take? Also how long had you had your mole, how big was it, how long do you think it had been changing for before you  noticed it and what exactly were the changes, sorry for so many questions, my head is birling, please only answer what you feel comfortable doing, thanks x
  • FormerMember

So first appointment was to look at the mole so they could decide if it needed a biopsy. They told me there and then that yes it did need out BUT they had no idea if it was cancer or not it was just suspicious as you can’t tell by looking. 

It must have taken about half an hour or so and you can ask questions too   I thought they’d just look at the suspect mole but they look at every mole on your whole body  it’s a bit weird but they are so thorough.

I don’t know how long I had the mole my 13 yr old daughter saw it and said mum that mole is odd I think you need to get it checked. It was a funny shape darker and 2 colours sort of. It wasn’t huge but size means nothing apparently even something tiny can be an issue. It also itched like hell! 

• FormerMember

Thank you for your answers, I hate not knowing so good to have a bit of a heads up. Mine is a pre existing mole that had been there fir years, it is huge compared to any others i have so falls into that 'ugly duckling' they talk about. I'm sure it used to be flat but now has a raised patch that is darker and feels like sandpaper, it doesn't itch or bleed. Can I ask how long between being told it needed to cone out to tbe actual surgery? Thanks again x

• FormerMember

Not knowing seems to send our imagination crazy doesn't it? I waited less than 3 weeks for the biopsy which in fact was the surgery to remove the mole with a border.  I then waited exactly 2 weeks for results.  Ask them when they check the mole as they should be able to give you a time frame then.  I was told I was top of the emergency list...ohhh I am not sure I really needed to know that! For everything it seems they have a time limit so just ask about timings.  My mole was also pre existing but changed. 

• FormerMember

Thanks so much for listening, for your answers and for your advice, just wish it was over and I knew what I was dealing with one way or the other, hate tbe one minute positive feelings if I can fo this followed so quickly by tbe stomach churning what ifs x

• FormerMember

Oh I hear you what you are feeling is totally normal. Let me know how Tuesday goes xxxx

• FormerMember

Hope all goes well tomorrow here if you need a shoulder xxxx