Melanoma ?

• 28 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Went to a dermatology consultant today expecting  to be told husband's scalp lump was a cyst Huge shock to be told looks like cancer Urgent biopsy on Monday As you will see from my profile husband  was successfully  treated foe bladder cancer and his ureter cancer is being controlled It's the early hours I can't sleep and I'm terrified He dud have ct scan in Feb as his uteriic stent is being changed shortly Lungs were all clear but one kidney showed slight swelling and a mark which surgeon will look at when he changes the stent I'm in turmoil I'm assuming  biopsy will confirm cancer and grade and stage Not sure why I'm posting just feel awful

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your husband is currently being investigated for skin cancer and it's natural to feel as you do, especially with everything you've already been through.

You are right that the biopsy will tell if it is cancer and what type it is. When your husband goes for his biopsy on Monday make sure he asks how long results are currently taking as they vary from one area of the country to another. He should also be given a phone number to call if he doesn't get the results in the timeframe given.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for you

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks We are fortunate that we have private medical cover and the consultant said results should  be 10 days I'm  going check again with him though 

Best wishes Wilbert 

• Yes, do double check as I think all biopsies, whether NHS or private, use the same labs but I could be wrong.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Biopsy done gone to lab results in 10 days appt with constant week on Thursday but if results back before he will ring us Looks like aggressive but at 3 cm hopefully stage 2b but Confirmation deoend on biopsy Primary he thinks surgery secondary surgery  plus chemo Hard to ge5 my head.round husband is fit well no unexpected weighgml8ss good appetite going to g ad usual xx

• Biopsies done we have an appt with consultant a eek on Thursday but he will ring.me if he gets the results before Thinks irs an aggressive cancer Surgery is possible results depend on  stage and grade If primary looking at just surgery if secondary 

• Hi  

That's great that you're going to get such fast results.

Surgery to remove a larger area around the original site, called a wide local excision (WLE), is normal if melanoma is found.

Depending on the depth of the melanoma, a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) can also be done at the same time to see if the melanoma has spread to the nearest lymph nodes. I've had both of these procedures so I'm happy to talk you through them if your husband needs them.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a non melanoma skin cancer.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks I've been up for hours on Google terrified John has just.month's to live Your reply has helped me As its scalp woukd nearest lymph nodes be neck area I've checked and I can't feel anything there His lung ct scan was clear and the cancer in ureter was still contained just anxious the thickening of the other kidney could be suspicious We have no family and my best friend died from pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago a matter if weeks from diagnosis My husband has no symptoms and appears in good health its all so confusing 

• Hi  

I'm sure you already know this but Google is not your friend right now. Most information will be out of date and treatment for melanoma, if it is melanoma, has come on so much in the last few years.

You are right that if he has to have a SLNB then the lymph nodes tested will probably be those in his neck.

It's good to read that your husband is otherwise in good health as that will aid his body to heal after the biopsy.

Sending virtual ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks I've a determined effort to stay away from Google xx

• Hi,

Some minor feedback - I had melanoma on my scalp and you’re correct in assuming the nearest lymph nodes are in the neck (t least they were for me).

I had an op to remove 50 lymph nodes in my neck after the cancer had spread to a node behind my ear.

As others have said, please ignore Google - it’s based on historical data and doesn’t reflect recent improvements in treatment.

Good luck!