Spread to lymph nodes

• 62 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Good afternoon all.

My Melanoma was at stage 2A until i got a call 6 weeks after my WLE and SLNB, saying that it had spread to the 2 lymph nodes they had removed, now supposedly it is now stage 3b.

The SCN told me that the WLE area was free of cancer, but they found deposits on the 2 lymph nodes that were removed from my groin and there was no extra capsular spread.

She also said it had been contained in or on the the lymph nodes (cant remember if she said in or on the lymph nodes) think it was on.. 

I now have a meeting at the Christie on Thursday 25th January regarding scans etc.

Obviously now very worrying that it has actually spread to other parts of the body.

Any body been in this situation and had a good outcome ?

Thank you.

Simon

• Hi Simon,

I am so very sorry to hear your news, I’m sure there are people on here that have been diagnosed as staged 3 who would be able to give you some positive information.

I do know there is a lady on the Cancer Research Forum called  Angie T who has been staged 3 for 15 years and first had a melanoma removed in 1996, she seems to be very informative so it may well be worth having a look on that forum as well.

Wishing you all the very best for your future scans, will be thinking of you.

Jane x

• Hi Simon,

So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Much like yourself, I was diagnosed as Stage 3 in early 2020 (my profile details my history). I completely understand that the initial diagnosis is very unsettling and alarming. 

In answer to your question, my outcome has been very positive. I received the Pembrolizumab immunotherapy treatment for one year and all subsequent PET-scans and CT-scans have indicated complete remission of the disease. I was very fortunate that the side-effects of the drug were very minimal for me. 

I hope that you will stay positive and know that successful treatment of melanoma has advanced by leaps and bounds in recent years.

Take care. Wishing you the very best,

Dave

• Hi Jane.

Thank you.

Already had a message off Angie T who did put my mind at rest a bit.

Just wanted to get feedback from anybody else in my position.

Thank you.

Take care.

Simon x

• Hi Dave.

Thank you for your reply.

That is a very encouraging story.

I know everyone is different, but I am keeping my fingers crossed there is hope out there for me and thousands like me.

All the very best for the future sir.

Take care.

Simon.

• Hi Simon mine spread to 3 lymph nodes in groin. I had pet scan and it was clear apart fron thyroid nodule which they don't think is anything to do with melanoma. My is braf positive I have been taking treatment to stop it coming back dabrafenib and trametinib but had to pause it at moment cause it caused high fever and acniform rash.  Try  not to worry the oncology team look after you well and they are all so nice. I'm at a hospital in London.

• Hi Miss Mole.

Lovely to hear off you.

I had a CT scan with contrast for suspected bladder cancer on the 3 October and my results came back as clear, but the consultant said it did show up a small nodule on my lung.

He said he wasn't worried about it and they always check again 3 months after, I said are you sure it's nothing to worry about and he said yes.

I then had my second CT scan without contrast on the 19th Jan, still waiting for the results, should chase them up really.

A lady on admin on the Melanomamates forum said it's usually because of a past infection, hope she is right and lots of people get them.

It's my meeting tomorrow with the consultant at the Christie and I am quite anxious.

Wrote some questions down on my Christie notebook Wink.

The SCN said last Friday that the 2 lymph nodes they had taken out had contained the cells and there was no extra capsular spread (what ever that means).

Anyway what happens to you now that you have had to pause meditation?

Simon x 

• Hi going back to hospital next week to be checked and got to see a dermatologist once rash has cleared up should be able to continue treatment hopefully. Hope your appointment goes OK tomorrow. So hopefully the thyroid nodule we just need checking every few months. You should get a pet scan.

• It's my first meeting since my WLE and SLNB and my call off the SCN last Friday.

My wife reckons they will do a scan tomorrow, but I  reckon it's just to reaffirm what was said on the phone and to talk about booking a scan etc

Hope all goes well for you.

Keep me updated.

Simon 

• Thank you and good luck for tomorrow.