Dealing with loved ones

• 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all,

like everyone else, I have been freaking out after my news of 2A melanoma on the back of my left ankle. 

I feel like I suddenly changed as a person, I’ve ‘lost interest’ in the future, ans currently on standstill in a way. I’m sure others have felt this 

in addition, I’m also worried re my impact on my partner and the way I have become. We are usually having fun all the time, and now I’m finding it difficult to want to do things, and even think about food. This is hard for him too, and I don’t want the relationship to break down 

Does is anyone have any experiences around this please?

• Hi.  I am 'only' Stage 1B (on my ankle) but can definitely relate to feeling like life is on standstill.  I struggle to think about anything else and one of the biggest changes I've noticed is that I currently don't like being away from home (we are regularly away from home visiting friends and family).  I'm due to be away with a friend overnight on Sunday, something we really look forward to, but currently I'd rather not.  

My husband & I are really trying to work things out as we go through this situation.  Ironically we are Couples Coaches so obviously we should know how to cope?!! But it's not as simple as that.  We're trying to keep communicating about how we're both feeling and I'm really trying hard to tell him what I need (not brilliant at that) and gently tell him what I don't need (he's got a habit of trying to 'fix' it which is SO unhelpful). 

I think it's understandable to want to go 'into' ourselves for a while - for me it's a way of coping.  Hopefully your partner will understand?

Good luck. x