Anyone know of good Travel Insurer post cancer - urgently needed!

• 4 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, I wondered what other peoples' experience was of getting insurance for foreign travel after having cancer? I was very lucky to get the all-clear last November after a gruelling time with facial melanoma and WLE and skin graft on my left cheek. (Not a pretty sight for a while I can assure you but looking a lot better now!) Now going on holiday to Austria (4 years of waiting!!!!! yey) In a nutshell,  full cancer disclosure was made to insurers initially, obviously, I've now added that that I've very recently had blood test for low energy/tiredness (results pending) and suddenly told they won't  insure me without an actual diagnosed condition or my husband (as he's awaiting routine hospital test for stomach pain) .We are due to fly on 3rd June!!!!

In this day and age there must be plenty of us going through tests and investigations who've already booked to go holiday abroad.  Anyone know of a good reputable travel insurer for these situations please?

Many thanks and sending lots of love to everyone going through this horrible business, stay positive if you can.  Xxx

1. I have noticed others mention Insurancewith (one word!) as being helpful.  Someone mentioned that online the site was tending to treat each medication they mentioned as a separate illness but then found that was sorted easily by switching to a phone call application.  People mention that the premiums are less eye watering than some other companies.
  • Hi  

That's great to read that you've been given the all clear and Austria sounds like a great place for a holiday.

Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you're waiting for test results so can I recommend that you join the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have successfully got insurance when they've previously had cancer.

Whilst none of the companies recommended are specifically ones that will provide insurance when test results are pending, it would be a good place to start. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' and make a list of the companies that are recommended.

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I do hope that you can get insurance and that you have a fantastic holiday

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your useful tips.  Hopefully will get all sorted this week and Hello Austria on Saturday!!

Best wishes x

• Hi Mendoe,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and send some advice on this tricky subject.  Yes I think you're right about speaking on the phone being easier all round. Am bracing myself for a hefty premium cost but that's life and you have to do these things while you can.

I'm sorry to hear of your Stage 4 melanoma and I really wish you well with your current treatment.  Best wishes x